T or 90 elbow

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fishinAK

Apr 19, 2006
Hey guys,
So I pulled the trigger and ordered the Jotul F3 CB. Now I am trying to figure what I will need for the flue. Since I will not have much room to work with I am thinking the the best option may be to vent out the rear of the stove. If I vent out the top there will be very little air space between my stove and the vented brick wall.
So my first question is...is there any significat difference in proformace between venting out the rear or the top?
and the second question is...if I vent out the rear I was going to have it go to a 90 elbow and from there directly up 12 feet to the chimney. I keep reading how you want to limit the number of elbows. but is this one ok?
Also is it better to us a 90 elbow or a T with a cap at the bottom end? it seems like the T would be easier when it comes to cleaning time.
Please any and all suggestions.

Here is my vote for the tee code does not consider a tee in friction and increase draft verticle runs. For some reason the Tee afords less resistance to the flow of flue gasses. and then the convience of cleaning

Definitely a T. As Elk says, less resistance and easier cleaning.

As far as top vs. rear, as I know it rear is supposed to up the efficiency. But may be harder to get started as the flue gasses need to work their way out the back. With that said, I changed my Hearthstone Heritage to a rear vent when it was installed and did have any problems getting going. When I had the stove up to temp (450-500), I was burning almost all the combustibles. That meant less smoke up the stack :)

My .02

I have a stainless Tee on the back of my stove. It does not take very much at all to get er going. A few crumpled pieces of paper at the back of the firebox and as soon as that stainless gets the heat it takes right off.

Status
Not open for further replies.