T-shirt

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BrowningBAR

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Jul 22, 2008
San Tan Valley, AZ
It's 10 degrees outside right now and I am wearing a t-shirt inside. The entire house is warm including the upstairs.

I DON'T NEED ANY MORE STOVES!

Why not get another stove, then you could go shirtless.

Todd said:
Why not get another stove, then you could go shirtless.

I ran out of chimneys...

Browning, after just finishing of our last cold stint -40 to -48 and being in the home to experience it. I am pondering the thought of a 2nd stove upstairs when it drops into the -30s. Then I could just let the BK idle in the basement at its most efficient setting. I have been hanging out more upstairs lately and felt it being a bit chilly when the extreme outdoor temps are present. Running the BK harder and feeding it every 8hrs to keep the oil off. I have been really pondering the Woodstock Keystone. Something I can smoulder to get a real low output. I don't want overkill as we have made it this far with just one stove and above -25c is all comfortable, but I have wood and cold snaps here are as sure as Raggedy Ann has cotton boobs. Why not be comfortable in all extremes. Sounds like you are happy with your efforts. I am really serious on doing the same. I only may run it 4 months of the year, but hey!
Enjoy

north of 60 said:
Browning, after just finishing of our last cold stint -40 to -48 and being in the home to experience it. I am pondering the thought of a 2nd stove upstairs when it drops into the -30s. Then I could just let the BK idle in the basement at its most efficient setting. I have been hanging out more upstairs lately and felt it being a bit chilly when the extreme outdoor temps are present. Running the BK harder and feeding it every 8hrs to keep the oil off. I have been really pondering the Woodstock Keystone. Something I can smoulder to get a real low output. I don't want overkill as we have made it this far with just one stove and above -25c is all comfortable, but I have wood and cold snaps here are as sure as Raggedy Ann has cotton boobs. Why not be comfortable in all extremes. Sounds like you are happy with your efforts. I am really serious on doing the same. I only may run it 4 months of the year, but hey!
Enjoy

The flexibility of multiple stoves is a great thing to have. In the end you will probable use the same amount of wood as you won't have to burn the BK as hard.

north of 60 said:
Enjoy

Do it! You will be glad you did. It's working out for me. We don't get those extreme cold temps like you but you can sure feel a difference between upstairs and downstairs with one stove burning on those colder days. There is no way to even out the heat throughout the house with a wood stove basement install, I've tried everything. Sure you can move some of the heat and keep the furnace from turning on but it's best to have a second stove on the main level and be done with it. I haven't had to go 24/7 with my Keystone yet, so far just a low slow burn in the evening or morning to help out. It sure is nice to wake up to a nice warm 75 degree house up and down when it's below zero out.

Todd said:
Do it! You will be glad you did. It's working out for me. We don't get those extreme cold temps like you but you can sure feel a difference between upstairs and downstairs with one stove burning on those colder days. There is no way to even out the heat throughout the house with a wood stove basement install, I've tried everything. Sure you can move some of the heat and keep the furnace from turning on but it's best to have a second stove on the main level and be done with it. I haven't had to go 24/7 with my Keystone yet, so far just a low slow burn in the evening or morning to help out. It sure is nice to wake up to a nice warm 75 degree house up and down when it's below zero out.

The Keystone would be the perfect replacement for the Intrepid. Except it won't find in the space I have. Long term, I'd like something with a longer burn time and more power. No idea what that would be, though.

north of 60 said:
Enjoy
i was just thinking this the other day.. i have a fireplace up stairs and was thinking of a insert possibly. not for a while. but we have a baby on the way and our bedrooms are 2 whole floors away from the stove. doesnt bother us it being in the high 50's to 60. but the baby room will have to do something. i was thinking a another blaze king insert then start the stove at night before bed. and doing the same thing just letting the stove idle in my basement idle on low. but im not spending anymore money on a new stove anytime soon but it iwll definanly be in the future.

Todd said:

Todd, what is the heat output split between the two stoves when its cold out? Are you doing the same thing you always did in the basement and then just adding some heat upstairs? Or are you keeping the lower level at 68-70 and the upper level stove just doesn't have to work as hard because of the warm floor?

Browningbar, your three stoves are on the same level right? Do you make a reload lap every X hours through all of them or do you stagger them?

One thing I found with a basement stove and a 14 mo old is we don't want the door to the basement open when she's awake. We don't trust those grates will stop her from falling down the stairs.

Matt

north of 60 said:
Enjoy
-48? You need a vacation, not another stove!!!

BrowningBAR said:
It's 10 degrees outside right now and I am wearing a t-shirt inside. The entire house is warm including the upstairs.

For the love of God man--put on some pants.

woodgeek said:
BrowningBAR said:

For the love of God man--put on some pants.

I refuse!

"I'm out there Jerry and I'm loving every minute of it!"

BrowningBAR said:

Okaaay. Just don't tell me about the 'downstairs'.

SolarAndWood said:
Todd said:

Todd, what is the heat output split between the two stoves when its cold out? Are you doing the same thing you always did in the basement and then just adding some heat upstairs? Or are you keeping the lower level at 68-70 and the upper level stove just doesn't have to work as hard because of the warm floor?

Browningbar, your three stoves are on the same level right? Do you make a reload lap every X hours through all of them or do you stagger them?

I'm still experimenting but with colder weather I usually just run the downstairs Fireview the same and fire up the Keystone in the evening to give the house an overnight boost. If it's still a little cool upstairs in the morning I have coals in the Keystone to add a few more splits but usually it's plenty warm and the Fireview can handle the load til night time.

north of 60 said:
Enjoy

Maybe you should also consider Woodstock's new stove that will be on the market really soon.

ecocavalier02 said:
i was just thinking this the other day.. i have a fireplace up stairs and was thinking of a insert possibly. not for a while. but we have a baby on the way and our bedrooms are 2 whole floors away from the stove. doesnt bother us it being in the high 50's to 60. but the baby room will have to do something. i was thinking a another blaze king insert then start the stove at night before bed. and doing the same thing just letting the stove idle in my basement idle on low. but im not spending anymore money on a new stove anytime soon but it iwll definanly be in the future.

You may be surprised at how resilient babies can be to lower temperatures. At least when they are newborn you can wrap them up in blankets and they don't kick them off like bigger kids do. We had two October babies and never kept their areas any warmer than the rest of our house (which has run in the 60-65 range). Even our fat-free premie (3.5lbs when she came home from hospital) did fine when wrapped up well. Now, new mothers on the other hand often seem to require higher temps for whatever reason(s).... keep her happy of course :)

My mom thought overheating the house was not good for babies. She kept a window slightly open in the bedroom for her kids as infants. Nowadays it seems we tend to overprotect our kids, ending up making them weaker in the long run.

BeGreen said:
My mom thought overheating the house was not good for babies. She kept a window slightly open in the bedroom for her kids as infants. Nowadays it seems we tend to overprotect our kids, ending up making them weaker in the long run.

My grandmother would pour hot, melted wax into the ears of my uncles when they would get ear infections. I'm sure their is a middle ground somewhere between protective bubble and going deaf...

Backwoods Savage said:
north of 60 said:
Enjoy

Maybe you should also consider Woodstock's new stove that will be on the market really soon.

Just looking for something small and proven with soft heat. If they had something even smaller than the Keystone I would consider it.
Cheers

north of 60 said:
Backwoods Savage said:
north of 60 said:
Enjoy

Just looking for something small and proven with soft heat. If they had something even smaller than the Keystone I would consider it.
Cheers

Hearthstone Tribute? Not a cat stove but would prolly take the chill out.

Todd said:
north of 60 said:
Backwoods Savage said:
north of 60 said:
Enjoy

Cheers

Once you go smaller than the Keystone and you go non-cat you end up with a headache between the short reload times and the higher temps.

If I could get the Keystone to fit where the Intrepid is I would do it in a heart beat. Doesn't fit, though.

I need Woodstock to come out with a catalytic insert.

Slow1 said:
You may be surprised at how resilient babies can be to lower temperatures. At least when they are newborn you can wrap them up in blankets and they don't kick them off like bigger kids do. We had two October babies and never kept their areas any warmer than the rest of our house (which has run in the 60-65 range). Even our fat-free premie (3.5lbs when she came home from hospital) did fine when wrapped up well. Now, new mothers on the other hand often seem to require higher temps for whatever reason(s).... keep her happy of course :)

Every kid is different, my son hated being wrapped up and was kicking out of the swaddle in the hospital and we know how nurses can wrap them up! He was never swaddled after coming home since he seemed to HATE it. He's 21 months now and kicks a blanket off anytime we try to put one over him. Our solution is a little electric heater in his room that has a thermostat set on 68-70*.

It's funny you mention wearing the t-shirt. I just added a small wood stove in the basement this weekend to run on low and I've had to shed clothes all weekend. It's going to take a little trial and error to run both the stove and insert and not have to open windows. I woke up last night at 1:30 sweating my musintouchits off. Oops. It is fairly mild here right now though.

BrowningBAR said:
Todd said:
north of 60 said:
Backwoods Savage said:
north of 60 said:
Enjoy

Cheers

Once you go smaller than the Keystone and you go non-cat you end up with a headache between the short reload times and the higher temps.

If I could get the Keystone to fit where the Intrepid is I would do it in a heart beat. Doesn't fit, though.

I need Woodstock to come out with a catalytic insert.

I don't think Woodstock will ever do an insert since they deal in soapstone and don't want to hide it behind an ugly surround. Maybe a mason could work some magic for you?

Status
Not open for further replies.