T5/Super: curious if your left side burns more slowly? (0, 8 & 19 hr burn pics included)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

mar13

Minister of Fire
Nov 5, 2018
California redwood coast
Over Thanksgiving week I did a lot of burning with my new stove and noticed that it seems to usually burn the wood more slowly on the left side. Perhaps even going back to front in its burn direction on the left side, which is different than the front to back burning it does for the most of the stove box. Anybody else notice this too?

I also wonder if this firebox air flow is also associated with the lower left glass getting dirty if you shut the air down too early.

I've included pictures of a day-time "overnight burn". The picture below shows the coals 8 hours after the start of burning 34 pounds of hardwood: eucalyptus (28lbs) and oak (6lbs, top center). The other picture is the start of the load. The last picture is after 19 hours, as you can see any chunks remaining tend to be on the left.

Attachments

• 8hrs.jpg
    8hrs.jpg
    187.7 KB · Views: 80
  • 0hrs.jpg
    0hrs.jpg
    172.7 KB · Views: 78
  • 19hrs.jpg
    19hrs.jpg
    163.1 KB · Views: 99
The coals left are more a function of the wood density and volume. I get this too. It will vary from left to right side depending on the splits. Some wood just burns slower than others due to it's location in the tree, age of the tree, etc.. It can also be a function of how the stove is loaded. If there is more air gaps on one side, that area will often burn first.

I was wondering if it was the result of the boost air or window wash coming in from the right side (which I'm unsure if it does), thus giving the the right half of the firebox first dibs on the air.

The coming winter will give me more tries, as my handful of tries is more anecdotal than anything else....

I have found that with a good setup and dry wood that the biggest variable is me. No two loads are identical, nor are the way most get started.