Talk me out of the Buck Stove 91

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

mightytitan9

Sep 18, 2021
Mound City KS
Sorry for starting another thread on the Buck Stove 91, but I seem to find mixed information and want to get some direct answers.

To start, we are installing an insert in an old wood burning fireplace. I had previously settled on the Ironstrike Montlake 300, however in the process of putting down a deposit, my wife decided we should check other options due to the wait time on the Montlake 300.

My main requirement is burn time, as I need to regularly go 10-12 hours without having to load the fire. We will use it as our primary heat, but will have a gas furnace as a backup. The only viable other option seems to be the Buck Stove 91.

The Buck Stove 91 doesn't qualify for the tax credit the Montlake 300 does, but it would be available in 2 weeks as compared to the Montlake 300's 8 weeks. If our new house is comparable to our old house, we figure the insert will save at least $100 a month, and if utility bills increase 25%-40% as projected, the savings would be even higher.

I have a few questions regarding the Buck Stove 91 that I just can't seem to find.

Can the power to the blower be hidden in the fireplace opening, or does the cord need to be plugged in externally? I assume the blower has a high and low setting? Is the blower noisy? Is the ash pan actually usable/useful?

Due to our old house and old insert (Osburn 2400) all my wood is cut between 20 and 22 inches long, so I lean towards the bigger fireboxes as well as burn time and trying to heat the whole house as stated before.

Is there any reason I should talke myself out of the Buck Stove 91? Thanks for your input

I think you covered all the cons. Only thing I could add is do you have room in the flue for an 8” insulated liner.

That's a good point, I noticed while researching that it took that I will need to measure tonight and verify.

I'm just not sure if my wife will like the catalytic aspect of the stove is the only thing holding me back

Have you considered the Buck 81 insert? It's 6". Also, the Blaze King Princess insert should be considered strongly for long burn time, 6" flue liner and it qualifies for the tax credit.

Have you considered the Buck 81 insert? It's 6". Also, the Blaze King Princess insert should be considered strongly for long burn time, 6" flue liner and it qualifies for the tax credit.
I do like the Buck 81, the biggest draw back to me is the maximum 20" log length, I have at least 1-2 years of wood cut between 20 and 22 inches which my old insert would fit. But priced at $2800, maybe I need to look more into it.

My wife doesn't like how much the Princess protrudes so that ones out.

The Bucks protrude too. That protrusion is a good thing for getting more radiant heat into the room. This is important during power outages. Have you shown her the flush, Sirocco 25 insert?

The Bucks protrude too. That protrusion is a good thing for getting more radiant heat into the room. This is important during power outages. Have you shown her the flush, Sirocco 25 insert?
yeah i guess maybe it's more the shape to her. I can say I'm not a big fan of its looks either. It definitely protrudes more than the standard insert. With the size of insert I want, we really don't want a flush one

The irregular shape of the Buck 91 would be a draw back for me. I find it easier to pack a square firebox completely full and usually have wasted space in the trapezoid shaped. Looks like the EPA firebox size is 2.6 on the 91 and the Montlake is 2.9.

Reactions: Woody Stover
That was my biggest love of the Osburn, it pretty much had a square firebox.

The Montlake has a small taper, but not as much as the others.

I'm leaning towards the Montlake again after going back and researching it again. I was hoping to find another I would love and be able to run it earlier, but I think long term I'll be happy I waited.

I usually start my fire for the first time on Halloween, going to be weird not having one this year

Yes, the Osburn 3500i and PE Summit inserts have sq fireboxes. Regardless the 20-22" wood stash is going to be an issue for most stoves except E/W loaders and with the pinched back the big wood will only fit in the front of the firebox.

Yes, the Osburn 3500i and PE Summit inserts have sq fireboxes. Regardless the 20-22" wood stash is going to be an issue for most stoves except E/W loaders and with the pinched back the big wood will only fit in the front of the firebox.
I have reached out to a couple companies regarding the price and availability of the PE Summit, but haven't gotten a single response yet

The Osburn 3500 insert can take a 22" log loaded E-W. It takes a max 18" log loading N-S. As mentioned, it has a square firebox, not trapezoidal.

Unless something has changed since January, the Buck 91 should qualify for the tax credit. Wood stove database shows an 80% hhv for Model 91 which can be freestanding as well as insert. We were looking at the Montlake 300 as well, but couldn't find much information on it back then. Had considered the Princess and Summit, and finally decided on the Summit. Then the new EPA tax credits standards came out and the Summit didn't qualify. Wasn't real fond of the look of the Princess, so did a search and saw the 91 listed. Grew up with a Buck stove, and though I couldn't find much in reviews at the time, the tax incentive helped us make the decision.

Ordered in January, just got installed in July, and still dealing with some issues, so can't really help with some of the other questions. The 8" pipe has been an issue. The flue is 13x13 so no issues until it gets to the flue opening and even though they cut out an opening big enough, the angles seem to bind things up. Hopefully will be able to burn soon, and still need to finish fixing the chimney repoint and crown.

I'll load some wood and take some pictures and post them to hopefully give you an idea.

The bigger hunks of wood were cut by my brother in law for his fireplace and are all about 16" The smaller rounds are 21" in the middle, and 20 on the end and top left. I think the manual recommends N-S loading. With the taper you lose about 3" on each side in the rear.
Sorry the lighting isn't the greatest, but hopefully will give you an idea of loading space.

The fan is loud on high, but not too bad on low, though just realized mine has a whine to it while on lower settings.

Hope this can help.

IMG_3489.jpg IMG_3491.jpg IMG_3492.jpg IMG_3493.jpg IMG_3494.jpg IMG_3495.jpg IMG_3497.jpg IMG_3498.jpg IMG_3499.jpg

Thank you, definitely a good looking insert. My main drawback is if we'll like a catalytic stove or not. I found a dealer that has several Montlake 300s on order. They try to stock them but can't get them in and the moment. They added me to a wait list, no deposit required. Told me if I decide against it, just to let them know and they'll remove me from the list. So I went ahead and signed up just in case.