Tanaka

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oooooh.... That looks like a suitable replacement for my wee 30 yr old Echo. :coolsmirk: I sense some splurging in the very near future. :coolgrin:

Never run Tanaka myself,but what little I've heard about them is they're quite reliable.

Thistle said:
Oooooh.... That looks like a suitable replacement for my wee 30 yr old Echo. :coolsmirk: I sense some splurging in the very near future. :coolgrin:

Never run Tanaka myself,but what little I've heard about them is they're quite reliable.

Yea they look like a tonka toy.....Appears to be well built.

Much more plastic than my old Echo,yet it still only weighs 8lbs dry.No chainbrake or handguard on it either,later models had the guard.

Thistle said:
Much more plastic than my old Echo,yet it still only weighs 8lbs dry.No chainbrake or handguard on it either,later models had the guard.

I have a friend that climb with one for 20 years.

Baileys is the only place I've seen one. Might be a good saw but who knows. Maybe its been reviewed over at AS.

smokinjay said:
Thistle said:

I have a friend that climb with one for 20 years.

Wow - how high is he now?

I'm kicking myself for thinking too long about the deal on the Hitachi CS33ET14 Sears Outlet had two weeks ago. They sold out quickly. Its the same saw painted green with a longer warranty. It was $169 + $8 shipping... Those of you in IL or TX still may still have them at your local sears outlet store.

It is 10% off in January.

I have a 455 Rancher with a 20" bar, I was thinking of something smaller to cut up telegraph pole sizes logs. Not sure if this would be the best bet. For the money.

Thistle said:

+1

Tanaka has a pretty good rep reliability wise as far as I know. If this thing turns out decent it could be good price/performance ratio. But if we're looking at how the saw's gonna perform the 192T maintains a slightly better power -> weight ratio. It certainly comes at a price but the MS201T flat-out spanks the Tanaka for HP per cc. (Total bhp = 2.41 vs 1.6) :coolgrin: I wonder what the engine rpm limit is on the Tanaka vs. the MS192T? Also I'm guessing this is going to come with 3/8" Low-Profile .050 for chain. That will make a huge difference vs the .043 Picco Mini chain on the MS192T and not in a good way.

If was at it's regular price of $299.99 I'd say skip it and pick up a MS192T but at $209.99 it might turn out to be a bargain.

Never ran one but their handhelds in the lawn care world (blowers, weed wackers, etc) are know to have a good power to weight ratio and be consistantly reliable

Attachments

• aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.jpg
    aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 291
I only have experience with the Tanaka gas drills & they are high quality. If that saw is made in Japan as the drills were it should be great quality. If made elsewhere, I don't know Jay, Randy

Singed Eyebrows said:
I only have experience with the Tanaka gas drills & they are high quality. If that saw is made in Japan as the drills were it should be great quality. If made elsewhere, I don't know Jay, Randy

Yea me either, so far the 192t has been a work horse. Cant believe how much we run that little dude. Will never cut without one on board.

I wonder why the top handle is not C.A.R.B. Teir 2 compliant and the rear handle is.

just a different muffler?

mecreature said:
I wonder why the top handle is not C.A.R.B. Teir 2 compliant and the rear handle is.

just a different muffler?

Probably just easier to get through Regs. Less of them sold. (There a very small drop in the bucket) Compaired to other saw sales.

I would really like to see one up close.
Never used a top handle so I wouldn't know which one to get.
I have an old poulan 2150 that has been running great.
I got the knack of tuning it, cleaned it up real good. I think it likes the stihl oil mix.

anyway, would there be any reason to buy one of these Tanaka's with a rear handle
over the same CC in stihl like the 170 or 180?

mecreature said:
I would really like to see one up close.
Never used a top handle so I wouldn't know which one to get.
I have an old poulan 2150 that has been running great.
I got the knack of tuning it, cleaned it up real good. I think it likes the stihl oil mix.

anyway, would there be any reason to buy one of these Tanaka's with a rear handle
over the same CC in stihl like the 170 or 180?

Low volume cutting for sure there worth trying. Chain tensioner would be what I want to see.

Status
Not open for further replies.