Tank Liner Alternative idea

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pybyr

Minister of Fire
Jun 3, 2008
Adamant, VT 05640
wish I had thought of this before

the "home-made tankage thread" (which is probably the most elegant DIY thing I have seen yet in this genre) got me thinking about liner-based tanks, even though I'd previously steered away from them and invested in a honkin' big mass of 409 stainless instead

EPDM liners seem iffy, over the long haul, if you really want to max temperatures, which maximizes BTUS per gallon

I suddenly had a "DUH" moment, too late

I have previously used a material called Tu-Tuf for insulating vapor barrier. It's, as far as I can tell, the same thing as PEX pipe, except in a big flat roll.

It's hard to cut with anything other than a sharp knife even when you try. it's wonderfully goof proof stuff in its basic durability. bombastically bomb-blast proof in an unassuming way.

if PEX works for pipe, why not for a liner?

Does it actually have the properties of pex? Bear in mind that pex is cross linked polyethylene, the x-linking is what allows it to withstand pressure at temperature, unlike black well tubing (high density polyethylene).
Is it flexible enough to be folded into a tank?

Tu tuf is too thin. Anything under 30 mils thick is going to be susceptible to permeation, especially at the water temps you see in a wood boiler tank.
Water will not leak, but rather permeate through the plastic.

Tom in Maine said:
Tu tuf is too thin. Anything under 30 mils thick is going to be susceptible to permeation, especially at the water temps you see in a wood boiler tank.
Water will not leak, but rather permeate through the plastic.

Tom nice to see you here in the boiler room, lots of things going on here.

Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.