TARM solo plus - add water?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

swlpt

Dec 8, 2013
USA
I've been using this boiler (TARM solo 60 - gassification boiler w water storage system) for several winters and every time on start up, I read through the manual and every time I read this one sentence (I have highlighted it)that says:

CAUTION never add water to an overheated boiler - wait until the boiler has cooled down before adding water, if it is needed.

Does anyone else om here use this boiler and should I have added water to the boiler before now and if so, how - there is nothing more on this in the manual - just this one sentence

Thanks

I have a 30. I read that as saying if it blows off from being overheated "do not add water".

Your fill valve should take care of any minor top offs. In my case that feed is in the primary loop that takes care of both boilers.

I believe they are referring to an overheated boiler as opposed to a hot or warm boiler that is within the set point parameters. Nevertheless you should be knowledgeable of the system pressure and be checking it periodically when visiting the boiler. If your pressure gauges are not within the parameters at any particular time, action should be taken. Perhaps whomever installed the unit could school you on what to look for.

I glance at the pressure gauge nearly every time I tend the boiler.

They are telling you this if you have a closed system and no automatic fill valve.
Water should not be added to the boiler as the boiler can explode due to the water contacting the dry boiler walls as the steel or cast iron is simply react to the cold water and the boiler vessel will rupture violently and cause an explosion due the cold water contacting the overheated boiler that has become dry due to the overheating.

NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER add water to a boiler that has blown off its water supply and boiled out and is still hot.

You need to wait 6 or 8 hours to let it cool down before you add water back to the boiler steam chest.

thanks for responding - sometimes things make more sense when explained differently - all is good, and I now understand