Tecumseh engine not running properly after carburetor swap.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Dmitry

Minister of Fire
Oct 4, 2014
CT
Hi. I've inherited old Powermate pm52-4000 generator with Tecumseh engine. I'v ordered new carburetor and installed it. It looks a lot like original, but has a port on a side for air intake, which original doesn't have. There is corresponding line on a engine that seems too short and looks like it was never connected. The engine starts good and run strong, then after 30 sec shuts off. Can it be caused by extra port on carburetor. Should I just order original ones or try to block it. What is the purpose of this port? Apparently i didn't do a good research to find exact replacement, but it was hard to do as generator is very old.
Please see pictures.
1662EA2F-BFAF-4107-947B-7016C91A9A19.jpeg
F8F2F56C-AEE2-4D85-8C0A-763B6BC47F38.jpeg
684838AF-DDAC-4258-9E86-777D5A7DC46B.jpeg
A1C8DAF9-3820-4243-A706-63884387565E.jpeg

That sure looks like the tube should connect there too me...crankcase breather I'd guess...doubt that will make it shut off every 30 seconds though...that sounds more like its running out of fuel. Is there plenty of fuel getting to the carb? Float adjusted right?

Reactions: Dmitry
Is this the screw on a bottom of a round reservoir ? Sorry, not that experienced with this.
It runs 30 sec and stops. Then i try to start it and nothing going on. After 5 min it starts again. Now it makes sense , may be no fuel in a system.

As mentioned, sounds like it's running out of fuel.

It's odd that it would off from the factory, is it an aftermarket carb? Maybe plug that open port first, and if/when that doesn't work, then mark the bowl orientation from top to bottom, check the bowl to see if it has a step in it, if it does, then loosen that bottom nut and rotate the bowl a quarter turn, tighten it up and run it again. I'd do that until you've rotated the bowl 4 or 5 times, in a complete 360, in the off chance that the step on the bottom is not aligned properly. I know they can run out of fuel if the bottom bowl has a step in it, and the float is not letting the needle and seat open fully.

After that, I'd drop the bowl and play with the float height. Good luck.

do a youtube search on tecumseh generator carb replacement, I'm sure they've addressed these other ports, issues, etc.. if you haven't already.

Should I take it apart and play with float?
Wouldn't hurt...see if fuel is flowing well from the needle/seat area...the bowl looks to have a step in it, so it will need to be put on oriented properly...make sure the bowl is not turned wrong and interfering with the float.

Take the bowl off and let the needle and float hang. Now turn on the gas and see if you have good flow.
If it flows well, make sure the lowest part of the bowl is under the lowest part of the float.
Also check your fuel vent cap to make sure it is not plugged.

Make sure you check to make sure it has and is keeping spark. I am fighting with a tecumseh on a generator and it doing the same exact thing yours is. I absolutely hate messing with tecumsehs. They give me the most problems. Now I say that, I myself have a generator with a tecumseh that runs great and and always starts. Just seems like they are harder to work on.

Reactions: Isaac Carlson
I was going to say the same thing as duramaxman about tecumseh motors always having the most problems. I have tried to avoid them if possible. I don't know what it is that causes it, but they just seem to have more problems and when they do they are harder to fix/diagnose.

Reactions: duramaxman05
I was going to say the same thing as duramaxman about tecumseh motors always having the most problems. I have tried to avoid them if possible. I don't know what it is that causes it, but they just seem to have more problems and when they do they are harder to fix/diagnose.

Agree. I've had some good ones, and I've had some bad ones, but the quality and engineering on them isn't top notch, that's for sure. Sometimes they'll drive you crazy.

Someone did a better job than I did describing how to index the bowl for the float/needle seat movement. If you can, better to squat down and visually inspect and rotate that bowl so the step allows the greatest movement of the float.

Make sure it's getting enough fuel to the carb, that the fuel filter isn't plugged up, or a line isn't full of debris etc.. Old gas tanks and fuel lines often have a lot of crap in them that can cause problems pretty quickly even on a new carb.

Reactions: duramaxman05