Tee Attachment

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Chimnoob

Nov 12, 2022
The Woods
Thanks so much for this website. It's been a godsend. I'm relining my chimney and attaching to a wood stove. I have a few super basic questions about the tee. I have a two-piece tee seen here.

1. Tee cap: The directions just say to attach it. But it didn't come with anything to attach it with. There are four small-diameter indentations, one of which penetrates through the tee cap, so I'm assuming I add four tiny bolts to keep it in place on the tee, not screws that would penetrate the tee? Is there a preferred method of attaching it? If the answer is bolts, does it matter what type I use?

2. I've seen some folks recommend connecting the two pieces of the tee with furnace cement. Is this recommended/necessary or no?

3. Same question about connecting the tee to the wood stove. Do you connect those with furnace cement? If so, do you just put a ring of furnace cement around the tee and slide it in?

Thanks so much for your help!

1. Attach the tee cap with stainless steel rivets. If those aren't an option stainless screws are acceptable but not preferred

2. Nope no furnace cement

3. Again nope.

Are you insulating the liner?

I've never use and cement on wood stove pipe. Male end of the pipe goes towards the stove in case of any creosote running down it will run inside the pipe. I've had single wall pipe that you could see in the gap but no smoke ever came out. I'm sure you could seal it with something.

I've never use and cement on wood stove pipe. Male end of the pipe goes towards the stove in case of any creosote running down it will run inside the pipe. I've had single wall pipe that you could see in the gap but no smoke ever came out. I'm sure you could seal it with something.
If you see a gap it should be sealed or replaced with better pipe. Smoke won't leak out but dilution air will be sucked in lowering exhaust temps possibly causing creosote issues

1. Attach the tee cap with stainless steel rivets. If those aren't an option stainless screws are acceptable but not preferred

2. Nope no furnace cement

3. Again nope.

Are you insulating the liner?
Thanks so much, bholler!

Sorry for the dumb question, but rivets would go through the tee itself in order to connect the tee cap, correct? Will I need to be taking the tee cap off periodically in order to clean? If so, I just drill the rivet out and replace with new ones?

Yes I'll be insulating the liner with 1/2 inch blanket. One point I'm unsure of is how far to insulate down--do I stop at the top of the tee or keep insulating down to the tee snout? Thanks again for the help!

Thanks so much, bholler!

Sorry for the dumb question, but rivets would go through the tee itself in order to connect the tee cap, correct? Will I need to be taking the tee cap off periodically in order to clean? If so, I just drill the rivet out and replace with new ones?

Yes I'll be insulating the liner with 1/2 inch blanket. One point I'm unsure of is how far to insulate down--do I stop at the top of the tee or keep insulating down to the tee snout? Thanks again for the help!
If you will need to pull the tee cap use screws. And insulate to the tee

If you see a gap it should be sealed or replaced with better pipe.
This fall when cleaning my flue I noticed a slight gap at my clean out tee (noticed when using flashlight). Can high temp silicone be used, or is is this location too hot ? Use gasket cement instead ?

This fall when cleaning my flue I noticed a slight gap at my clean out tee (noticed when using flashlight). Can high temp silicone be used, or is is this location too hot ? Use gasket cement instead ?
What type of cleanout tee?

Tee attached to bottom of chimney (flexible, stainless steel liner), end cap opens to bottom, and other end attached to double-insulated horizontal flue section.

Tee attached to bottom of chimney (flexible, stainless steel liner), end cap opens to bottom, and other end attached to double-insulated horizontal flue section.
Silicone won't hold up furnace cement is the only thing that might work

If you will need to pull the tee cap use screws. And insulate to the tee
Thanks, bholler. I guess I'm completely ignorant of whether I'll need to remove the tee cap or not. I have a masonry chimney that I'm relining with M-Flex stainless steel 6" liner that comes out past the damper. That attaches to the tee and then the tee snout attaches to a Jotul wood stove. The tee cap would be at the bottom of the tee. Would I need to remove the tee cap to clean? Thanks!