Telescoping 6" Stove Pipe issue

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Vikestand

Feeling the Heat
Oct 29, 2014
Missurah
First, I've been creeping around here for awhile but have finally found a reason to tap into the vast knowledge here.

Last night while cleaning my flue, I took the telescoping double walled 6" pipe off the stove and ceiling and set it off to the side. My normal procedure is to duct tape a trash bag to the pipe going into the ceiling before cleaning, letting the build up fall into the bag.

Well when I went to pick up the pipe it collapsed down to it's smallest length. I cannot get the pipe to adjust. It's fixed.

When I was a kid we always fought with these pipes but normally I could get it to finally break free.

I've tried penetrating oil and have it soaking right now here at work. I'm at a loss on how to break it free.

Your best bet would be to get a couple of strap wrenches with either leather or rubber strapping & have a buddy help you.
Turning the wrenches (& the pipe sections) in opposite directions will usually free them...

Got it. Took two pairs of dykes and a rubber mallet/wood and tapped her loose. It's a choir by yourself which I was trying to accomplish last night. Sick baby and wife don't help.

Status
Not open for further replies.