Stove operating temperature

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
what temperatures do you run your stove at ?
it depends if you need to give immediate heat to the house or if you only need to maintain, however as I understand it is better not to go beyond 700-800
my meter got damaged because i put at the center of f 500 which at that point reaches 850-900, while at other points, maximum I get 600 f. I haven't bought another one because otherwise I'm always there to read! But I have a laser that I only use sometimes.

Reactions: Itslay90
it depends if you need to give immediate heat to the house or if you only need to maintain, however as I understand it is better not to go beyond 700-800
my meter got damaged because i put at the center of f 500 which at that point reaches 850-900, while at other points, maximum I get 600 f. I haven't bought another one because otherwise I'm always there to read! But I have a laser that I only use sometimes.
Sounds good. I spoked to my stove manufacturer and they told me my pacific energy can burn at 800 and it’s not over firing as long has nothing is glowing red which it haven’t !

Reactions: Split and Prometeo
Sounds good. I spoked to my stove manufacturer and they told me my pacific energy can burn at 800 and it’s not over firing as long has nothing is glowing red which it haven’t !
my stove user manual says the same, it is overheated when you see red glow somewhere, then reduce air !

my stove user manual says the same, it is overheated when you see red glow somewhere, then reduce air !
Right, but at what temps will it glow red? I'm learning my new Lopi Endeavor and I have a Rutland magnetic therm. on the top and I use a laser read therm. One of them is off, because I get 150* or more temp difference between the two, with the laser reading higher. I've been trying not to go over 7-750 at the hot spot using the laser. My manual doesn't specify what temp is to hot, just don't let it glow red it says. That's no help, because the unknown is at that temp will it glow red??

Right, but at what temps will it glow red? I'm learning my new Lopi Endeavor and I have a Rutland magnetic therm. on the top and I use a laser read therm. One of them is off, because I get 150* or more temp difference between the two, with the laser reading higher. I've been trying not to go over 7-750 at the hot spot using the laser. My manual doesn't specify what temp is to hot, just don't let it glow red it says. That's no help, because the unknown is at that temp will it glow red??
Exact, I don't even know this and that's why i consider english manual of v3, which indicates maximum 600 at the corners, and I follow this indication. Then I think it is also the goodsense, as in everything, of the user. what is sure, temperatures too high, too many times, shortens the life of the stove, gaskets. 700-800 degrees is already an excellent temperature, I don't think it's necessary go beyond

Yes. It’s crazy because I had this stove for a year, and always stayed around 650 degrees.. then I noticed when it gets to 800… that’s when it starts to heat my house. My house is 3,000, sf

Reactions: Prometeo
Yes. It’s crazy because I had this stove for a year, and always stayed around 650 degrees.. then I noticed when it gets to 800… that’s when it starts to heat my house. My house is 3,000, sf
I believe it, it is large surface area; my house, about same sq ft i divided into two dwellings each with its own stove arrangement.

650º STT is a typical cruising temp. That is a large space to heat with one stove in NYS.

Last edited:
So are you saying get another stove for the upstairs?
If this is possible it might provide better comfort and heating flexibility along with longer stove life if the Summit is being pushed hard. It could be the basement heat loss is high. 3000 sq ft is pushing it for heating area unless the house is very tight and well insulated.

Every stove is different and everyone has different qualities of wood. My stove does its best work between 650-725::FSTT. I have a tall chimney and 3 year old+ hardwoods so sometimes it creeps up to 750-775::F at first if I really stuff it but it settles down nicely.

The over fire temp for my stove is 840::F. I've only hit that mark a few times for brief periods when I stepped away and got distracted on a reload. I don't get too worried about it when it's a rare occurrence and short lived. However, consistent and long term over firing is what will destroy a stove.

steel colors based on temperature, the problem is probably inside the stove (baffle especially) which is even hotter than outside
Gluehfarben_no_language_horizontal.svg.png

It is (at least *in* my stove) impossible to assess the temperature of metal using such a color table, because this table assumes black body emissions, and when something is that hot, it certainly is not a black body. Instead it also reflects a lot of the ambient light of the flames.

I used to be able to judge the temperature of silicon by its color from about 650 C up to 1300 C with a precision of at best 25 C simply by looking at it when it is inside an otherwise dark vacuum chamber. I have never been able to be confident in assessing the temperature (e.g. of the cat or the flame shield in front of my cat) by color in my stove.

WOW- if you are seeing a red glow- you are way too hot. I've been told a dull glow is 1200-1400, a brighter glow is 1400 or more.
Its kinda scary to me if you let a stove get there, hopefully you'll have good control of it. Good, normal ranges of 400-600 are ideal if a stove and area are sized properly. Even 600 is pushing it pretty hard espec if its a cast stove. I've found that steel stoves tend to be easier to get higher temps than their cast sisters, and are easier to run overall (IMO), but the cast stoves are more pleasing to the eye (again IMO). The stove for you is the one that you can use and stay warm. Remember, you are inviting fire into your home, treat it proper.

WOW- if you are seeing a red glow- you are way too hot. I've been told a dull glow is 1200-1400, a brighter glow is 1400 or more.
Its kinda scary to me if you let a stove get there, hopefully you'll have good control of it. Good, normal ranges of 400-600 are ideal if a stove and area are sized properly. Even 600 is pushing it pretty hard espec if its a cast stove. I've found that steel stoves tend to be easier to get higher temps than their cast sisters, and are easier to run overall (IMO), but the cast stoves are more pleasing to the eye (again IMO). The stove for you is the one that you can use and stay warm. Remember, you are inviting fire into your home, treat it proper.
600 really isn't pushing it much. Steel stoves can easily handle 800. And I have seen a full glow at 900 but only visible with the lights out

This is what the manual says
DO NOT OVERFIRE THIS HEATER: Attempts to achieve heat output rates that exceed heater design specifications can result in permanent damage to the heater and chimney. A glowing red, top or vent pipe are indications of overfiring. Failure to recitify an over firing condition can be hazardous and may void the manufacturer's warranty.
and my stove is never red !
600 really isn't pushing it much. Steel stoves can easily handle 800. And I have seen a full glow at 900 but only visible with the lights out

This is the problem with using "glowing red" as an indicator of doing something wrong - stoves do not allow more when the operator (observer) is sight-impaired one way or the other. Use a thermometer, that's unambiguous.

So what temperature will you say it’s fine ? I heard 650,700,750,800
On your stove the hottest point on the top should be about 800 max