That time of year again.....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Jeremy6500

Feeling the Heat
Jan 22, 2021
Indiana
Started having some cooler temps here in northern Indiana and fired up the pellet stove for the first time last week. Still just running it on low for a few hours in the morning and then shutting it down as appose to the 24/7 operation it will see in the coming months.

This year I finally got things setup in the attached 1.5 car garage so I can buy pellets in bulk instead of having to pick up 20-30 at a time. Just purchased 3 tons form Menards for $222 a ton after their 11% rebate. Glad the price hasn't gone up on them yet, although I am sure it will at some point.

Had a solar array installed that covers all the electricity I use for the house (in theory) so I don't have to worry about the added load of running my 2 pellet stoves.......and on top of that the solar financing payment is less than half of what my normal electric bill was.

Might go with a forced air heat pump by next winter and relegate my pellet stoves to my supplemental heat source vs being primary.

Happy pellet season.

I had a mini split system installed June of 2021. Ran it for a lot of last heating season, when weather permitted (I think I ran it at 15* or higher), and the electric use went up from the previous year by about 200 kwh each month from Dec-March. I did save about 2 tons of pellets (I use up to 6 tons per year). However, last year, the cost to run the mini split was a wash compared to pellet use.

My goal was to understand how much energy I would realistically use (I am getting older) so I could investigate installing a solar system that would be able to to handle those needs in the future.

This year I'm using pellets. However, my solar array is supposed to be installed later this month. Just in time for it barely to produce anything, but that's okay, it will start getting me to where I want/need to go.

I had a mini split system installed June of 2021. Ran it for a lot of last heating season, when weather permitted (I think I ran it at 15* or higher), and the electric use went up from the previous year by about 200 kwh each month from Dec-March. I did save about 2 tons of pellets (I use up to 6 tons per year). However, last year, the cost to run the mini split was a wash compared to pellet use.

My goal was to understand how much energy I would realistically use (I am getting older) so I could investigate installing a solar system that would be able to to handle those needs in the future.

This year I'm using pellets. However, my solar array is supposed to be installed later this month. Just in time for it barely to produce anything, but that's okay, it will start getting me to where I want/need to go.

My solar went in the beginning of July. It is a grid tied system. During the day I use it and send any extra back to the grid where I get a 1 for 1 credit for every kWh I send. Then use the grid at night. So far I have been banking about 400kWh a month to use when the shorter winter days are here.

Since my electric company will never cut me a check for what I produce and my system is a fixed cost for me, I want to use all it produces.

I was reading they have newer heat pumps that are supposed to work with very low temps. The ones I used to install quite a few years lost a lot of efficiency once it was below freezing.

Pellet stoves are working well for me so far, so I may end up putting off the heat pump and spending my $$ elsewhere.

Reactions: bogieb
I started last week too. Not every morning, but if it's in the low 40s, I've been turning it on for about an hour.

I paid the "discounted" price of $260 per ton this summer, which was the regular price last year. I just saw the hardware store has them for $289 now. The supplier has been jacking up the price on them, so the store has to raise their prices too.

Even at the higher price it's still less than half the cost of the equivalent amount of fuel oil.

Reactions: Jeremy6500
I started last week too. Not every morning, but if it's in the low 40s, I've been turning it on for about an hour.

I paid the "discounted" price of $260 per ton this summer, which was the regular price last year. I just saw the hardware store has them for $289 now. The supplier has been jacking up the price on them, so the store has to raise their prices too.

Even at the higher price it's still less than half the cost of the equivalent amount of fuel oil.

Hoping pellets stay that way.

I should have enough pellets for this winter. Hopefully next winter the price is still reasonable.

My solar went in the beginning of July. It is a grid tied system. During the day I use it and send any extra back to the grid where I get a 1 for 1 credit for every kWh I send. Then use the grid at night. So far I have been banking about 400kWh a month to use when the shorter winter days are here.

Since my electric company will never cut me a check for what I produce and my system is a fixed cost for me, I want to use all it produces.

I was reading they have newer heat pumps that are supposed to work with very low temps. The ones I used to install quite a few years lost a lot of efficiency once it was below freezing.

Pellet stoves are working well for me so far, so I may end up putting off the heat pump and spending my $$ elsewhere.

I will be grid tied too. but, if I have over $100 of credits in March, then the utility will give me the option for a check or to roll it over (credit never expires). Since they convert kw to $$, when energy prices are high (like now), it is worth it to use the least electricity and bank the money.

Reactions: Jeremy6500
This year I finally got things setup in the attached 1.5 car garage so I can buy pellets in bulk instead of having to pick up 20-30 at a time. Just purchased 3 tons form Menards for $222 a ton after their 11% rebate. Glad the price hasn't gone up on them yet, although I am sure it will at some point.

Wow! Prices in Indiana are cheaper than Michigan. 40# bags are $5.33 per bag at the Menards near me (after 11% rebate), equating $266.50 a ton. Chalk another one up for the Hoosier State.

Reactions: Mt Bob
Wow! Prices in Indiana are cheaper than Michigan. 40# bags are $5.33 per bag at the Menards near me (after 11% rebate), equating $266.50 a ton. Chalk another one up for the Hoosier State.

Hardwood or softwood pellets? I have wanted to try softwood pellets since they are supposed to burn hotter and ash less, but they always would have to be ordered and are quite a bit more money.

C04CF5E1-C0F8-4E3A-AEE6-714CB5D0F166.png

Last edited: