The best boiler for a Pole barn

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

starksb

Jan 18, 2009
West MI
I have a pole barn that is 1080 square feet and I have tubing in the floor. I would like to heat it with a a wood boiler. The ceiling is 10'. The walls are insulated very well.
My question is what boiler do you think would be the best for my barn. Do you think I will need storage or not. I do not want to over size the wood boiler.
Thanks

well a eko 25 is the smallest you can go in that line.Storage just makes it that much better as you can run the boiler wide open and then store the btu.

Is your house nearby? You could install a unit to heat the barn and house together. Otherwise, you don't need a very big unit. Storage adds flexibility and can increase efficiency, so it is always an option in any application...

The most you're going to get out of a concrete slab that size is about 35,000 Btu's per hour. If you can swing the extra expense and spare the space of installing thermal storage I would recommend that you do, though I would have no problem installing a small 100,000 Btu gasser without it in that setting, and feel confident that if you take care of your boiler properly and operate it within certain parameters of an "oversized" boiler you will have good results.

No matter what boiler you buy, at some time during the heating season, it's going to be oversized. Thermal storage removes all the issues inherent in oversizing with regard to too much idle time.

cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.