The big "O" is coming home!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shari

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Oct 31, 2008
Wisconsin
Giddy, giddy, giddy!

Giggle, giggle, giggle!

We put a downpayment on a blue/black Oslo today! Install is in about 1-1/2 weeks. Got the blue/black for the price of the plain black! :)

The Big O has already been named "Ozzie"!

Shari

Fantastic. You are gonna love that stove.

That should warm the house! Congratulations. Nice that you got the bb enamel at the good price. You're going to love that stove and the nice finish.

This will be a hearth mount install so I still have to figure out what to do for hearth extension. We have a raised hearth 17" deep x 8' wide raised 10" above the hardwood floor. I talked to the dealer and he seemed to indicate because of 10" drop it might be possible to only have spark resistant flooring. What say you knowledgeable people? Spark resistant or something with a r value?

Shari

Congratulations, Shari. I know it will be worth the wait.

Yeah !!!!!! Good for you guys, Shari !!!

Can't wait for pics !!!!!

Good lord, woman,!!! You have all that wood !! You're golden !!

Doing The Dixie Eyed Hustle said:

Yup, got a fair amount of wood out there all set to go. About 1-3/4 cord left from last year/year before last and then 2+/- cord of soft maple that was cut in Jan '09 & split/stacked in April (wonder if that's ready yet?). Then cut but not split yet, oh, around 1-1/2 cord of hard maple & 1 cord of locust. Oh yeah, then there is about 1/2 cord of apple, and another 1/2 cord of hard maple - these are ready to go now. I have some kind of disorder here - I keep my wood species separated for some reason. Oops - forgot - there's 1/2 cord of birch out there too!

A friend gave us a blower grate for our fireplace in the fall of 2008. This gift turned out to be a test to see if we could heat our house with wood - it worked - now look we are! :lol: The only problem with the fireplace (other than using too much wood and not burning clean) is it is raising havoc with my allergies. Hopefully that won't be a problem with a stove.

Shari

Edit: Forgot - also have 2+ cord of elm cut summer 2009, split/stacked October 2009. heh heh heh I have a "map" of the stacks in our yard - hubby thinks I'm nuts!

Shari said:
Doing The Dixie Eyed Hustle said:

Yup, got a fair amount of wood out there all set to go. About 1-3/4 cord left from last year/year before last and then 2+/- cord of soft maple that was cut in Jan '09 & split/stacked in April (wonder if that's ready yet?). Then cut but not split yet, oh, around 1-1/2 cord of hard maple & 1 cord of locust. Oh yeah, then there is about 1/2 cord of apple, and another 1/2 cord of hard maple - these are ready to go now. I have some kind of disorder here - I keep my wood species separated for some reason. Oops - forgot - there's 1/2 cord of birch out there too!

A friend gave us a blower grate for our fireplace in the fall of 2008. This gift turned out to be a test to see if we could heat our house with wood - it worked - now look we are! :lol: The only problem with the fireplace (other than using too much wood and not burning clean) is it is raising havoc with my allergies. Hopefully that won't be a problem with a stove.

Shari

Edit: Forgot - also have 2+ cord of elm cut summer 2009, split/stacked October 2009. heh heh heh I have a "map" of the stacks in our yard - hubby thinks I'm nuts!
You'll love the stove. I'm jealous of your BB enamel already (my dealer gave me a deep discount on a flat black Oslo).

We switched from an old VC Defiant Encore, which was a top loading stove. I always thought its damper/bypass system worked pretty well to prevent smoke from coming into the house with the top open, but we did get a lot of dust in the room with the stove. But, since switching to the Oslo, and burning it more than the VC, we've seen a DRAMATIC reduction in dust, maybe a factor of 100 or more. There's no more dust in the room with the stove than there is in the rest of the house. We load exclusively from the side door of the Oslo, and that may make a difference, but I can say that the air is definitely cleaner. Hope you find the same in comparison to the fireplace.

Good luck!

Well done, Shari. "You da' woman".

Your Ozzie is one of the most reliable, best looking, most sought-after stoves since the infancy of our industry. Here's hoping it provides many restful and cozy nights during your Wisconsin winters.

Best wishes,

John_M

Shari said:
. . .. Got the blue/black for the price of the plain black! :)

I used to like you. ;) :)

OK, I still like you . . . just a bit jealous! Congrats!

Status
Not open for further replies.