The bluegum made me do it!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SawdustSA

Burning Hunk
Apr 1, 2014
Eastern Cape, South Africa
So after struggling a few days with my latest load of twisted bluegum, I took my worn chain in for profiling this morning at the local Stihl dealer. Well that turned out to be an expensive profiling. Got an extra new chain, some PPE and a new weapon for the arsenal. Mauls are rare in South Africa and I've being eyeing this Stihl Cleaving Hammer for a while now. Got some discount at least.

Now my Husqvarna splitting axe can take a back seat when it comes to the bigger rounds.

Attachments

• 20140412_095316.jpg
    20140412_095316.jpg
    155.6 KB · Views: 164
  • 20140412_101131.jpg
    20140412_101131.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 147
SOUTH AFRICA?
Well...dang! thats impressive.
I was just on Google Earth looking at ocean plates in the Indian ocean. Trying to locate where that tsunami started near Sumatra and Indonesia. Doing a little geography. I had a friend over and she told me her mom went to Thialand and I thought the 2004 tsunami was near there. We read the waves made it as far as Madagascar and african coast.
Then last night I was looking at a book on ancient trees from Madagascar and south Africa and I found these really strange trees that look like giant gold stuffed sausages with shrubbery growing on top. I think they start with a B?
Anyway...welcome to Hearth and send lots of pics!!!

Thanks for the welcome.

That sounds almost like the Cabbage tree. If so, I have one in my garden.

Here is a photo off Google of one:

Attachments

• cabbage1.jpg
    cabbage1.jpg
    192.3 KB · Views: 127
  • cabbage2.jpg
    cabbage2.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 86
Reactions: Applesister
Some feedback on the cleaving hammer:

I had to go cut some wood this afternoon to try it out. I found a nice bluegum with fairly straight grain. Only took a decent size limb off. Enough to fill the trailer. The base is just over 400mm thick (16 inch).

I found that with the Husqvarna I need around 3 blows to do what the Stihl does in 1 blow. I managed to split a 16inch round. Still hard work but at least it is now do-able. If the Husqvarna does not split a round it would bounce off quite heavily. The Stihl just stays put on the round. So far it seems to be money well spent. Hopefully I can delay having to buy a splitter for another few years.

Status
Not open for further replies.