The Evil, Blood-Letting Raspberries Are Getting Leaves

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

quads

Minister of Fire
Nov 19, 2005
Central Sands, Wisconsin
The raspberries are now starting to get their leaves (and Dave in Alaska thought I faked the blood! Ha!).
IMG_6754.jpg

Once that happens, then much of the potential firewood on the ground is impossible to see through all the leaves.
IMG_6752.jpg

This was one of today's targets to clean up. A section of white oak, leftover from the tornado several years ago.
IMG_6747.jpg

This gnarly piece I left for the worms to eat.
IMG_6756.jpg

My wood hauler, taking a break on the shore of the pond.
IMG_6744.jpg

Hi -

Mine haven't been quite that bad.

I was getting paid (well) to cut some seriously vine entangled pines yesterday. I'm pretty sure they were the 5 leave type and not Poisin Ivy. I washed everything well just in case.

I've had to cut a fair amount of PI infested spots this past Winter and have not had an issue yet. I use those boots only for cutting. I don't like passing/wasting good trees but some are just too scary, with bushels of vines clinging to them.

The Rasberry and Multi-flaura Rose vines can be pretty discouraging especially in warmer weather. I'm planning to do some spraying for P.I. and some Rasberry in the main spot I cut. The leaves need to get out a bit better.

ATB,
Mike

Quads - I miss seeing the sled! It's supposed to snow here tonight (near Milwaukee). Maybe you'll get snow tonight also! :)

Shari

Shari said:
Quads - I miss seeing the sled! It's supposed to snow here tonight (near Milwaukee). Maybe you'll get snow tonight also! :)

Shari

Calling for 3-6" here too tomorrow. Most of it usually stops about the middle of the state on it's eastward trek toward us.

zzr7ky said:
Hi -

Mine haven't been quite that bad.

I was getting paid (well) to cut some seriously vine entangled pines yesterday. I'm pretty sure they were the 5 leave type and not Poisin Ivy. I washed everything well just in case.

I've had to cut a fair amount of PI infested spots this past Winter and have not had an issue yet. I use those boots only for cutting. I don't like passing/wasting good trees but some are just too scary, with bushels of vines clinging to them.

The Rasberry and Multi-flaura Rose vines can be pretty discouraging especially in warmer weather. I'm planning to do some spraying for P.I. and some Rasberry in the main spot I cut. The leaves need to get out a bit better.

ATB,
Mike
We have some poison ivy, but not much and I'm not allergic to it. Those are all thorny raspberries in the picture though. It never used to be that way, until after the tornado thinned the woods out and let more light in. Then the raspberries took over!

woodsman23 said:
what is wrong with that pond?? seems very cloudy...
It's a man-made pond with a clay liner. The deer keep the banks all stirred up and we just got 2" of rain yesterday. So between the deer stirring it up and the rain, it made the water cloudy.

PapaDave said:
Shari said:

Shari

Calling for 3-6" here too tomorrow. Most of it usually stops about the middle of the state on it's eastward trek toward us.
Ha ha! The sled will be back in use before we know it, in only a few months! Just a chance of snowflakes mixed with the rain towards daybreak tomorrow. It will never stick now anyway, the ground is too warm. Unless it snows really hard!

Dang quads you almost got to cut a path through them rasberrys. Do you wear canvas bibs working in that stuff? I'd be all tore up. Nics pics by the way

I don't have raspberrys but my woods are full of blood letting holly trees. Man do I hate those things.

quads said:
woodsman23 said:
It's a man-made pond with a clay liner. The deer keep the banks all stirred up and we just got 2" of rain yesterday. So between the deer stirring it up and the rain, it made the water cloudy.

Pond looked great.
I still have a hard water problem with the small lake by me. (Ice)

ohio woodburner said:
Dang quads you almost got to cut a path through them rasberrys. Do you wear canvas bibs working in that stuff? I'd be all tore up. Nics pics by the way
Yes and yes. My good neighbor and I cut a couple new trails through some of them the other day. Anything off the trail though, I have to wade through them with my bib overalls and quite often they still scratch my legs. They are all over the woods nowadays, and a little blood everyday is normal. Much of the time I use my chainsaw like a weed-whacker while getting to what I'm going to cut.

BrotherBart said:
I don't have raspberrys but my woods are full of blood letting holly trees. Man do I hate those things.
There are thorny trees in our area, I think they are a type of locust, but none in our woods yet. They have even bigger thorns than raspberries!

bogydave said:
quads said:
woodsman23 said:

Pond looked great.
I still have a hard water problem with the small lake by me. (Ice)
Thankfully the ice is gone from here now. (it wasn't too long ago though!) Supposed to get down to 23° tonight, but the ground and water are warm enough now that I don't think any ice will form on the pond. Come to think of it, I probably should cover my outside faucet today!

ohio woodburner said:

This is where you need those Carhartts.

Backwoods Savage said:
ohio woodburner said:

This is where you need those Carhartts.
They sure help! Once in awhile a thorn will get through the uninsulated ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.