The first Jotul rookie mistake lol!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Pallet Pete

While today I made my first Jotul F-50 rookie I feel stupid mistake when I pulled out the ash pan and wow was it smoking :ahhh: What the heck is all the smoke from so in a panic I checked out everything except the pan then it occurred to me after everything else to look under the pan at the bottom of it. What do you know there was a melted factory sticker on the bottom of it :sick: who would put a factory sticker on the bottom of an ash pan where no one would look! O well guess I should have thought of that :lol: Now I have to cool the stove off completely and clean the nasty mess off the bottom of the pan drawer and compartment some how ugh!

Pete

But that steak was good. Pete, I was wrong it was Backwoods who cooked the steak in the woodstove.

zap

zapny said:
But that steak was good. Pete, I was wrong it was Backwoods who cooked the steak in the woodstove.

zap

Its ok zap I have done that before as well ! Maybe I should name this the mistake thread lol

Pete

I have no idea what you guys are talking about, but that steak was good. Pete, use caution when opening the ash pan door.if the stove is running other than in a coal state its downright dangerous. The amount of air that gets in the stove from below is crazy, and if there its any smoke build up it could all ignite causing a huge fireball with alot of power behind it. Even if there is flames and you open that door, the flames will triple. Never use the ash pan door to help with air supply for the same above reasons. I did ignoring/not knowing the dangerous results, and felt the power of the fireball. Ash flying, embers etc. good luck with the stove.

Backwoods said:
Pete, use caution when opening the ash pan door.if the stove is running other than in a coal state its downright dangerous. The amount of air that gets in the stove from below is crazy, and if there its any smoke build up it could all ignite causing a huge fireball with alot of power behind it.

The solution is to open the loading door first, then the ash door. Remove the pan, shut the ash door, then the loading door. This prevents the blast furnace effect.

Backwoods said:
I have no idea what you guys are talking about, but that steak was good. Pete, use caution when opening the ash pan door.if the stove is running other than in a coal state its downright dangerous. The amount of air that gets in the stove from below is crazy, and if there its any smoke build up it could all ignite causing a huge fireball with alot of power behind it. Even if there is flames and you open that door, the flames will triple. Never use the ash pan door to help with air supply for the same above reasons. I did ignoring/not knowing the dangerous results, and felt the power of the fireball. Ash flying, embers etc. good luck with the stove.

Thanks for the tip backwoods I did do it while in a coal state but didn't realize it could turn into a fireball shooter.

Pete

Status
Not open for further replies.