The Install Is Beginning....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

leeave96

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Apr 22, 2010
Western VA
I put-up the Metalbest SS outside chimney platform on the new addition a few weeks ago and got the go ahead from the contractor today to begin installing the chimney pipe - yippie!

I got started today with cutting the flashing that came with the chimney kit that seals the anular ring where the pipe penetrates the foundation outside to inside.

Next I painted the double wall SS chimney pipe flat stove black where it comes through the inside of the basement so it would match the stove pipe.

Everything's drying now, I'll likely install the tee and several sections of vertical pipe later today.

The addition is framed-in, roof on, electrical roughed-in, dry wall in place and they are starting to prime the interior.

The builder is going to build a chase around my exterior chimney - which ought to look very nice.

No pictures - I'm still challenged on that front, but I promise once I get this addition out of my hair, I'll get myself learned to post pictures until everyone's sick of seeing them!

Oh - this new chimney is the one for the Englander 30-NCH I've got in storage. I think I'm going with the pedistal for now vs. legs - but I got to clear it with the boss/Wife.

Thanks!!!!
Bill

I'm a firm believer in stoves having legs.

I was able to get back to the chimney project on my addition. Added enough chimney pipe to get within about 6 inches to the roof. From here, the contractor will have to knotch the roof and take it the rest of the way up. Even though the instructions say one wall brace per 8 feet, I am putting one on each section. I am using 3 and 4 ft sections. Trust me at the end of a 24 ft ladder fully extended, the 3 foot sections are much easier to handle!

I may bring the Englander out of storage and put it in the basement and start figuring out how I want to install it. One thing I think I am going to do is use single wall stove pipe and have pretty much decided to order the side shields and blower to give me some forced convection.

Bill

BrowningBAR said:
I'm a firm believer in stoves having legs.

Part of the reason I may keep the pedistal is that it makes moving the Englander around pretty easy with a dolly. In fact, with the firebricks and door removed, this stove is a breeze to move around.

In as much as I have a concrete floor the stove will set on, I will likely make a nice brick hearth once we get to finishing out this basement/den and that means I'll have to move the stove again. I'm also holding out that if we want in a few years to put in a more decorative stove, it will again be easy to move with the pedistal vs legs. I'll keep the legs and who knows I may wind-up using them later.

Thanks,
Bill

We left the pedestal on the 13 last fall for pretty much the same reasons. This fall, we'll be tightening up the chimney (double wall will replace single wall) and moving the stove over a tad. Me thinx we'll be swapping out the legs at that point.

Man, I clicked on this link wanting to see some pics..... guess you will have to use very descriptive writing lol. O well I'm glad to hear it's moving along for you. I bet you will be excited when it's finally installed and ready to go. Good luck with the rest of the install keep us updated :)

Looking forward to the pics when done...And the timing is just right, before you know it you will be burning this fall.

It's a lot of work Bill but in the end you will be very satisfied.

Status
Not open for further replies.