The Pellet Pail

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Like the looks of it. I would be interested if anyone has used this as well.

Yes, Hoverfly that's what was asking about. Looks like a cool idea.

Never used it or seen one untill to day. Like the idea though............. :coolsmile:

I've been interested in this for a while. For me, personally, the price seems way too high for what it is.

A few months ago, when I did some research on it, I recall reading that the bag cutter does not work nearly as well as advertised.

I'd love to hear some feedback on it if someone buys one.

Pretty funny since I have a "proposed" invention which is somewhat like this - but BETTER.........but, then again, I will probably never do it. I do have a record of having both shown it to our inventors group and also of having corresponded with someone in the industry about it.

In fact, I have three various pellet handing ideas........which would probably sell or be patentable especially now - but again, I'm probably too lazy or broke to see them all the way through.

BTW, this pellet paid has some big down sides - even in their video you can see the dust fly! Don't do that in the living room. You end up doubling the amount of dust as opposed to pouring right in from the bag. Ah, American ingenuity..........

I am just going to use my old coal hod, may paint it gold for class lol.

Webmaster said:
Pretty funny since I have a "proposed" invention which is somewhat like this - but BETTER.........but, then again, I will probably never do it. I do have a record of having both shown it to our inventors group and also of having corresponded with someone in the industry about it.

In fact, I have three various pellet handing ideas........which would probably sell or be patentable especially now - but again, I'm probably too lazy or broke to see them all the way through.

BTW, this pellet paid has some big down sides - even in their video you can see the dust fly! Don't do that in the living room. You end up doubling the amount of dust as opposed to pouring right in from the bag. Ah, American ingenuity..........

Oh I got a better idea!! Oh wait a sec, I am keeping it to my self untill I Patent it. :p

kilarney said:
I've been interested in this for a while. For me, personally, the price seems way too high for what it is.

A few months ago, when I did some research on it, I recall reading that the bag cutter does not work nearly as well as advertised.

I'd love to hear some feedback on it if someone buys one.

The bag cutter, which is claimed to be the patented part, seems like a relatively weak patent. My first thought on cutting the bag was a 3 or 4 lightweight sheet metal blades in the shape of a pyramid with a slightly sharp edge facing up and out. I never actually tried the configuration, but there are probably numerous styles of bag cutter which would do the job with 40 lbs of weight on top pushing down!

i think i will go to paris farms and buy the cheaper galvanized ash bucket with the pour spout on the front with a cover and a can of flat black spray paint. it will do the same thing except i will have to cut the bag myself. and just imagine...it wont cost anywhere near 80 bucks. i may have to fill it twice to empty the bag but ohhhhh bother

mike

mjbrown65 said:
i think i will go to paris farms and buy the cheaper galvanized ash bucket with the pour spout on the front with a cover and a can of flat black spray paint. it will do the same thing except i will have to cut the bag myself. and just imagine...it wont cost anywhere near 80 bucks. i may have to fill it twice to empty the bag but ohhhhh bother

mike

Cutting the bag on the bottom is the trick . The less you move the bag around the less dust and fines created.
The cutter on the pail bottom makes very good sense but $79 is a lot to spend for a plastic pail and a sharp cutter on the bottom.
Aren`t we supposed to be saving money burning pellets?
John

Yes we are suppose to be saving money.....but.....got to have the toys....I bought more chain saws and woodspliters and ropes and climbing equipment then I could ever make back in burning firewood when I had my woodstove. Again, just had to have the toys. Don't take much for me to talk myself into buying this stuff.

its been said that the best definition of a farmer is a man that will look at a 5 gallon pail for 15 minutes before throwing it out.
all you need is a 5 gal pail and a bulk sack of pellets and you are in business.
if you need toys, put a new stereo in your car.

Heck if a farmer throws them out, why do they sell them at Tractor Supply?

My design, of course, uses a 5 gallon pail.........but adds much more than just a bag opener! Of course, this is not rocket science.........I can't very well fool you into thinking that I used a secret sauce.

ugenetoo said:
its been said that the best definition of a farmer is a man that will look at a 5 gallon pail for 15 minutes before throwing it out.
all you need is a 5 gal pail and a bulk sack of pellets and you are in business.
if you need toys, put a new stereo in your car.

Nahhhh...too easy...I need devices and such to complicate my life. Oh, don't need a car stereo I already have five.

With a little ingenuity a lip can be attached to a 5 gallon pail to increase the capacity .
A 3-4" strip of material could be cut from another plastic pail using tin snips and then riveted on the inside / outside perimeter of the pail.
Black pails are abundant especially during blacktop coating season but they need to be cleaned immediately after use.
Left in the hot sun and they can even be reshaped to a wider but narrower profile to accomodate filling and pouring pellets easier.
John

i agree with the concept, just way to much money. i use a pail for the simple fact that last year i was pouring from the bag , and a huge hard clump of sawdust and pellet went into the stove. had i not seen it, i probly would have had a problem.so, now i use the pail so i can check during the filling.the dust isnt a problem for me as it is minimal.

mike

ha... 80 bucks.. ya right.

I was wondering why they didn't put a type of little screen in the bottom to allow the dust to fall down.

1 - Purchase $4 bucket at Home Sleepo
2 - cut bag open with utility knife
3 - dump bag into pail, while in garage or outside for dust control
4 - dump bucket in hopper

Pretty simple really

EDIT - You can find 6 gallon pails...just have to look or order them. We used them in the pool business all the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.