The 'Surprise EV'!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
It's the same size as a Tacoma bed, allegedly, and has a folding mid gate like the Avalanche/Baja
Yeah, I have a Tacoma, and it's been nice having roof racks for over-length loads like building supplies, kayaks, and canoes.

Reactions: SpaceBus
I just saw this comment, so pardon the late reply.

15 - 20 minutes charge time is a no-go. It takes 1 - 3 minutes to fuel a car with gasoline.

If I were renting somewhere that I had the option to plug the car in overnight, I'd be thrilled to try an EV rental. But otherwise, this would be a reason to cancel the rental and walk over to the competitor's car rental counter.
If I'm driving more than 300 miles in one trip, I'm stopping for 15-20 minutes during a fill regardless. 80% or more range in 30 minutes is well within a reasonable time. By the time I've stopped to refuel an ICE I have refueled myself, gone to the restroom, got some snacks for the road, and maybe walked around a bit. That's at least 20 minutes for most people, most likely more if it's a family trip.

The new Tacoma will reportedly have an available manual at some point but as you know, Toyota does not do special orders, so a dealer is going to have to wait until an allocation of a manual is available at the port and order it.

Last edited:
We ordered our Tacomas through Enterprise. I have no idea how they get them. But we ordered stripped down versions for fleet trucks. The only things we cared about was cruise control, blue tooth and 4wd.

We got rid of a couple of them at auction last year. It was great, lol. Drove them for a couple years, sold them for $1500 less than original purchase price! We put gas and a new set of tires on each.

Reactions: semipro
I just saw this comment, so pardon the late reply.

If I'm driving more than 300 miles in one trip, I'm stopping for 15-20 minutes during a fill regardless. 80% or more range in 30 minutes is well within a reasonable time. By the time I've stopped to refuel an ICE I have refueled myself, gone to the restroom, got some snacks for the road, and maybe walked around a bit. That's at least 20 minutes for most people, most likely more if it's a family trip.

Not to beat a dead horse, but the fastest charge speeds are from 0-50 or 0-60% state of charge. It is that figure that is 15-20 mins for current Teslas and $$$ EVs. My Bolt is super slow and is more like 30-40 minutes to do that.

Say you wanted to drive 320 miles....

If your EV has an EPA range of 250 miles, then it has a range of 200-210 miles at 65-70 mph.

Don't think you are driving it 160 miles (from 100% down to 20% SOC), charging it back to 100%, and then driving the second 160 miles to your destination. Bc charging from 20-100% (like filling up a tank) would take more than an hour, bc it will get really slow when topping off.

What you would do is drive 160 miles (100-20%), charge from 20-70% (15mins), drive another 80 miles, and charge a second time from 20-70% again (15 mins), and then drive the last 80 miles. And you get there (320 miles) with a total charge/stop time of 30 mins.

Above is the summer. In the winter, the HW range drops to 180 miles or so, and you need to make 3 stops (40-45 mins total). These stops might take a little longer, bc the charging might be slower in the winter.

Same trip in my Bolt would take over an hour charge time in the summer, with the same two stops, each lasting 30-35 mins. And easily 90+ mins total charge time in the winter.

As @Ashful said, destination charging (L2 to 100% overnight) is super useful.

THIS is why you use an app to tell you when/where to stop. Just using gasoline intuition... you will take a long time.

Reactions: SpaceBus and Ashful
If I'm driving more than 300 miles in one trip, I'm stopping for 15-20 minutes during a fill regardless. 80% or more range in 30 minutes is well within a reasonable time.
There's a good argument to be made for that, if you can find your desired food and an available and working charger in the same place, along the way. But we were talking about receiving an EV as a rental, meaning you likely already flew to your destination, making long drives not very relevant. The issue is that, if you receive an EV rental when away from home, whether you're on business or vacation, charging it is going to be a serious inconvenience, unless you're able to plug it in at your hotel or B&B.

Not to beat a dead horse, but the fastest charge speeds are from 0-50 or 0-60% state of charge. It is that figure that is 15-20 mins for current Teslas and $$$ EVs. My Bolt is super slow and is more like 30-40 minutes to do that.

Say you wanted to drive 320 miles....

If your EV has an EPA range of 250 miles, then it has a range of 200-210 miles at 65-70 mph.

Don't think you are driving it 160 miles (from 100% down to 20% SOC), charging it back to 100%, and then driving the second 160 miles to your destination. Bc charging from 20-100% (like filling up a tank) would take more than an hour, bc it will get really slow when topping off.

What you would do is drive 160 miles (100-20%), charge from 20-70% (15mins), drive another 80 miles, and charge a second time from 20-70% again (15 mins), and then drive the last 80 miles. And you get there (320 miles) with a total charge/stop time of 30 mins.

Above is the summer. In the winter, the HW range drops to 180 miles or so, and you need to make 3 stops (40-45 mins total). These stops might take a little longer, bc the charging might be slower in the winter.

Same trip in my Bolt would take over an hour charge time in the summer, with the same two stops, each lasting 30-35 mins. And easily 90+ mins total charge time in the winter.

As @Ashful said, destination charging (L2 to 100% overnight) is super useful.

THIS is why you use an app to tell you when/where to stop. Just using gasoline intuition... you will take a long time.
I've been thinking about this and a 150-200 mile range with 15-30 minutes of charging is totally reasonable. However, it seems that's not quite where things are. For my own use case I rarely drive more than 100 miles one way, so most EVs with a 200+ mile rated range is probably plenty.
There's a good argument to be made for that, if you can find your desired food and an available and working charger in the same place, along the way. But we were talking about receiving an EV as a rental, meaning you likely already flew to your destination, making long drives not very relevant. The issue is that, if you receive an EV rental when away from home, whether you're on business or vacation, charging it is going to be a serious inconvenience, unless you're able to plug it in at your hotel or B&B.
Hotels would be stupid to not invest in EV chargers at this point. Honestly any businesses that serve customers for more than 20 minutes should have them. However, I do understand that's a significant investment, but hotels, rest stops, restaurants, etc. who are quick to put in chargers are going to see a lot of business.

Last year when friends were coming to visit, they notified me ahead of time that they specifically reserved a Polestar. I was excited, as charging an EV is no problem at my house. I have a 40A Clipper Creek Level2 EVSE, and a 2019 VW e-Golf... so no problem! Unfortunately, when they reached the rental counter, the agent for rental company said they ditched their Polestars because so many customers were either running them empty and calling for a tow, or returning them on 10 miles remaining.

• Sad
Reactions: woodgeek
returning them on 10 miles remaining.
I would think that would be acceptable if not standard practice for rental BEVs.
They would be charged while cleaned so they're "topped off" and ready for the next renter.
This would also address one of the things I hate about ICE vehicle rental where I have to refuel them before return.

Reactions: Ashful
Range is going to vary with the car, particularly in the winter. Reuters just released a report on the EU cracking down on Tesla intentionally exaggerating range numbers. It's programmed into the software and Tesla has been actively dismissing owner range complaints.

It would be helpful if the EPA range testing included a winter range report for all EVs.

Range is going to vary with the car, particularly in the winter. Reuters just released a report on the EU cracking down on Tesla intentionally exaggerating range numbers. It's programmed into the software and Tesla has been actively dismissing owner range complaints.

It would be helpful if the EPA range testing included a winter range report for all EVs.

I’m happy with my range projections. I don’t get rated range in the summer with AC blasting driving at 74mph. 15% worse than rated.

But if it’s 85 out and you keep at 55 mph it will be 20% more than rated range.

My point is you learn your car. Tesla’s route planner is better too.

Definitely need a 20F and 95F mileage rating

Strongly agree. Too many BEV owners are surprised by cold weather range loss, myself included.

I’m happy with my range projections. I don’t get rated range in the summer with AC blasting driving at 74mph. 15% worse than rated.

But if it’s 85 out and you keep at 55 mph it will be 20% more than rated range.

My point is you learn your car. Tesla’s route planner is better too.

Definitely need a 20F and 95F mileage rating
Maybe even lower for some climates.

Strongly agree. Too many BEV owners are surprised by cold weather range loss, myself included.

Really? That happens with ICE vehicles too. I usually lose about 2mpg due to idleing/warm-ups/denser air requiring more fuel, etc. I thought it'd be a given that batteries would perform worse in cold weather, even before the electric heater turns on.

Some one just needs to come up with the wood stove option for EVs used in winter climates ;)

Some one just needs to come up with the wood stove option for EVs used in winter climates ;)
If I was driving a BEV up north a lot, I would def have a 1lb bottle of propane and one of those little warmers in my 'winter kit'.

If I was driving a BEV up north a lot, I would def have a 1lb bottle of propane and one of those little warmers in my 'winter kit'.
I purchased 3.3V lithium battery powered heated socks and used them with 1000g thinsulate boots after one too many 190 mile trips at 0 to -5 degrees F where I had to go pretty easy on the cabin heat in order to make it home traveling a route with no charging stops. At those temperatures, my realistic range with my older battery pack (60 kW) was 200-210 miles not using heat (and with no stiff headwinds or averse weather) - a little tight to not make me nervous. Now, there are a few DCFCs on this route (Route 17/86 in NY) and it isn't as challenging.

Reactions: woodgeek