THE TIME IS NEAR!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

WatersEdge

Feb 7, 2015
Newport, North Carolina
2015-11-03 21.43.48.jpg
The BABY BEAR is just about ready for its first run in the house. The chimney was delivered yesterday so I will be starting that install tomorrow I hope. So excited! !! Bring it cold weather. !!

Reactions: sauto1985
It should be interesting to see if it chugs or flutters with baffle and insulated pipe. I tried all the Bear Series models with baffles with the same chimney, and only Baby Bear fluttered and didn't burn smooth. It was too small for my house and that was the only chimney at the time with no other heat source, so I couldn't adjust and play with it long before needing to switch it out to a Mama. It could have been very dry wood or small pieces like kindling that gassify too fast and is like stuffing it with cardboard.
Better name the little guy "Big Foot".

Reactions: sauto1985
It should be interesting to see if it chugs or flutters with baffle and insulated pipe. I tried all the Bear Series models with baffles with the same chimney, and only Baby Bear fluttered and didn't burn smooth. It was too small for my house and that was the only chimney at the time with no other heat source, so I couldn't adjust and play with it long before needing to switch it out to a Mama. It could have been very dry wood or small pieces like kindling that gassify too fast and is like stuffing it with cardboard.
Better name the little guy "Big Foot".

Ok Coaly( or anyone else watching) ....Ya got my mind to wondering here. So my install is about 48" of single wall DuraBlack straight up to my Tripple wall Dura Pluss Chimney which will only be about 6-8'. I have installed the smoke shield inside the stove per you specs in another Thread. What could I do to insure my stove perform at its best? I am heating a 1100 sqft home that has insulation in the walls and blown in insulation in the atic. Thanks So Much

Good wood.
You may need another section of chimney. I'd wait and see how it does. You're probably not in an area that gets cold enough for long periods of time to make a good draft, so you can compensate with taller chimney. Most manufacturers recommend 15 feet, (believe that's stove pad to chimney top) but that's also due to UL testing with that height. It doesn't mean it has to have that much to work.
I had 6 feet of single wall Dura Black inside and 9 feet (3, three foot chimney sections) of 6 inch Dura-Plus Chimney. I found I could set the baffle smoke space to the minimum 28 square inches. It ran 600* stove top at the bend, 300* pipe temp about half way to the chimney.
Our overnight temps get in the single digits and below zero, so we need a much larger firebox for enough heat in the morning.
Your first fire or so since sitting will use more BTU's to dry the brick and expel any moisture they absorbed. So don't be concerned about low heat output right away.

Good wood.
You may need another section of chimney. I'd wait and see how it does. You're probably not in an area that gets cold enough for long periods of time to make a good draft, so you can compensate with taller chimney. Most manufacturers recommend 15 feet, (believe that's stove pad to chimney top) but that's also due to UL testing with that height. It doesn't mean it has to have that much to work.
I had 6 feet of single wall Dura Black inside and 9 feet (3, three foot chimney sections) of 6 inch Dura-Plus Chimney. I found I could set the baffle smoke space to the minimum 28 square inches. It ran 600* stove top at the bend, 300* pipe temp about half way to the chimney.
Our overnight temps get in the single digits and below zero, so we need a much larger firebox for enough heat in the morning.
Your first fire or so since sitting will use more BTU's to dry the brick and expel any moisture they absorbed. So don't be concerned about low heat output right away.
Cool, Thanks a lot Coaly for your help. I am on the coast of NC and when it does get cold it generally is not for long periods of time.

Status
Not open for further replies.