Them little holes in the burn pot

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bcarton

Feeling the Heat
Oct 15, 2014
Pelham, NH
I noticed last night that for the first time, the flame was looking a little lazy in the old EF2. I clean the stove per manual guidelines, and every 2 or 3 days I do scrape out the burn pot liner. As others here have mentioned, those little holes may not look clogged at all, but they are. I spent ten minutes tonight pushing a little round wire brush through every one of them. Stove is back to burning like a champ. I didn't want to believe that it would make any difference, but once again the collected wisdom here proves true. Thanks, everyone!

Reactions: Lake Girl
Told ya:p Sorry, couldn't resist! Everyone has their preferred weapons for torture - some folks use drill bits, some a screw. So far, my burn pot has only needed a putty knife to get the carbon off but then I clean it every day or two (manual says every day)...

I use a drill with a drill bit the same size as the holes. You'll be surprised that even with the wire brush, they are still slightly smaller than originally were. I highly suggest giving it a whirl next time.

I use the drill bit method and hit all the holes. They are almost always smaller than you think and the bit gets them good and clean.

Reactions: Ranger72
I use a brass bore brush on the slots in my burn pot. But they also work well on the round stuff as well.

Am I correct to assume that one doesn't actually use a drill, but just the bit?

I used variable speed drill. Just dont go on at too sharp an angle or.the flute on the bit will grab and snap the bit or fling the pot around slapping your arms and hands.....

Reactions: bcarton
Am I correct to assume that one doesn't actually use a drill, but just the bit?

Variable speed Dewalt 18v. Low speed straight in like 3650 says. Cleans the ports right out. For any caked on stuff in the bottom of the pot (or sides) I use a downward facing wire brush for the drill. SideCarFlip gave me the idea. Works really well. DO NOT DO IT IN THE HOUSE unless you are not married, then go ahead. LOL.

Reactions: bcarton
I do mine outside. The liner pops right out.

My holes have gotten a bit larger than stock......

My holes have gotten a bit larger than stock......

I've been curious about this myself. Not to hijack the thread but would you care to give a quick explanation of the effects of this modification if possible?

I've been curious about this myself. Not to hijack the thread but would you care to give a quick explanation of the effects of this modification if possible?

I will, with the comment that it may or may not work well for you (it does for me)....

Enlarging the holes in the burnpot allows more combustion air to the fuel bed, so the fuel burns faster and hotter and any given setting and if you are like me and burn a mixture of corn and pellets, the corn likes the extra air.

An added benefit is it allows the ash to fall out of the pot easier (especially if you have an agitator (like I do), so cleaning the pot intervals become longer.

I rarely touch my stove running filt tilt (over 6 pounds per hour, which it is doing right now btw) for 7-10 days, the ash falls into the ash pan....

Good comparison (you race) is comparing a 650 holley with an 850. The 850 flows more air and makes more power (so long as the valve lift and timing is appropriate). On my stove, valve lift and timing equate to draft control and thats something I can easily do.

In my case, I enlarged (most but not all the holes) to the diameter of a pellet and the upper holes (that supply combustion air across the fuel bed) to a full 1/8".

Most burn pots start life as a flat sheet of machine perforated material and are formed and welded into a burn pot so custom sizing the holes isn't in the cards for any manufacturer, it's not cost effective. They spec an average sized hole and the whole sheet (usually a 4 foot x 8 foot sheet) of material is machine perforated in one shot.

Reactions: elevenMracing
Makes sense, I may pick up and extra burn pot for the P68 in my shop and play with it some day. In the middle of building a new race car right now so it's a ways down my priority list. I burn straight pellets right now, though the corn mixing deal isn't out of the queston for me in the future. I've stared at it a few times and wondered how enlarging the holes would affect it while burning straight pellets. I've been scared off by not having a back up burn pot on hand and not knowing what the negative effects could be. I assume there is a point that can be reached where continuing to increase the size of the holes would be a bad thing, like how an 1000+ cfm carb on a little small block = lack of velocity/vacum signal.

Agree with sidecar.Every install is different.Found out years ago enlarging the holes in my integra was the ticket at my altitude,made stove much cleaner.When had to replace pot,measured new one,drilled out,never looked back.But like he says,every install may not work.Also have drilled out some st croixs,made them a better stove.

Plus if you make them too large a diameter, the fuel falls through. The 0.125" (1/8") seems to work well for me. Don't your P68 have a stirrer as well? Would be an ideal corn stove and you are in the corn growing region too.

Don't think I've ever used anyhting more than a putty knife to clean a pot. I pull mine and soak it in a bucket of warm water for a half hour or so while I clean the rest of the stove and after a half hour, all the deposits in the pot basically fall out, hard carbon and all. The agitator gets the same treatment too. Never scraped a pot in 30 years. Only a flexible putty knife.

Plus if you make them too large a diameter, the fuel falls through. The 0.125" (1/8") seems to work well for me. Don't your P68 have a stirrer as well? Would be an ideal corn stove and you are in the corn growing region too.

Don't think I've ever used anyhting more than a putty knife to clean a pot. I pull mine and soak it in a bucket of warm water for a half hour or so while I clean the rest of the stove and after a half hour, all the deposits in the pot basically fall out, hard carbon and all. The agitator gets the same treatment too. Never scraped a pot in 30 years. Only a flexible putty knife.

Not sure what you mean by "stirrer"? It just has the hopper which dumps into the auger chamber/tube which then feeds into the back/bottom of the burn pot. I am actually surrounded by farm feilds that are rotated between beans and corn that my uncle farms. One of these days I'll do my research on this subject and start a new thread with the sheet of questions I'll have.

Not sure what you mean by "stirrer"? It just has the hopper which dumps into the auger chamber/tube which then feeds into the back/bottom of the burn pot. I am actually surrounded by farm feilds that are rotated between beans and corn that my uncle farms. One of these days I'll do my research on this subject and start a new thread with the sheet of questions I'll have.

You have a stoker style Harman, I'm not familiar with every stove, I assumed you has a stirrer, assumed.

Instead of starting yet another thread on the merits of burning corn, you'll find volumes on that subject by using the 'search' feature at the top of the main page.

I'm a row cropper myself so I burn what I grow...sort of.

Yup, I've seen enough people scolded for asking questions here that have been asked a thousand times already to know better. I'll do my searching/learning but I'm sure I'll still have a few questions before I become a cornburner. I'll be sure to message you a request to join in on that thread. Thanks for the info so far!

If you see scolding for asking a question, PM me or click on "Report" on the post.

i drilled extra holes in my pelpro burn pot, it has slots along the bottom but they stop 3/4" from both ends and i was having a problem of ash buildup in the corners. Once i drilled 5 .125 holes in sorta a pyramid shape it burns great now and no buildup.

Heres a pic

Attachments

• 20141231_163531.jpg
    20141231_163531.jpg
    112.9 KB · Views: 510
IMO, extra holes don't hurt and most times help so long as you don't get carried away.....

Status
Not open for further replies.