Thermo Control jacketed boiler from National Stoveworks

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

danmitchell9

Jan 7, 2009
Central Maine
Just thought I'd add my experience with this unit we installed this past fall. We really wanted to go with a gasifier, but water storage and cost held us back. We live in an old house with a very small basement, so I ended up building an addition to house the boiler. I'm not completely satisfied with my wood consumption so far. I've put a damper in the flue to slow down the burn rate, and we've experimented with the aquastat circulation temps and the auto damper temps. This boiler has a 135 gallon jacket and our house has cast radiators, but I'd love to add more water storage in the future. We looked into the collapsable tanks for gasifiers, but they seemed to be pretty pricey. I've heard of people who use propane tanks and insulate them. And then I've heard some talk about pressurized water storage being more efficient than non-pressurized. Still learning the basics.

Status
Not open for further replies.