Thermostat and Pellet Stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MichB

Nov 18, 2014
New Windsor, NY
We moved into a house 4 months ago. It has a pellet stove that is 6 years old. We are troubleshooting some minor issues, but one in particular we cannot figure out and I cannot reach tech support. It's an Englander stove that is hooked up to a thermostat. Per the manual, the stove should not shut off when the set temperature is reached, it should maintain a low burn until it goes up again. Ours turns completely off every time then starts back up again when the temperature goes down. Any ideas as to what's going on? Any information would be appreciated.

I have a different brand of stove, so not sure if this helps. I have two t-stat modes I can select on a switch on the control board. One operates like you are experiencing; on, then if the t stat doesn't call for heat for 30 minutes, the stove will start to shutdown. The other runs the stove on a set setting and when it reaches the sepoint, backs it down to a lower setting until the t-stat calls for heat again.

My particular Englander model can run high-low or on-off, this can easily be changed by unplugging and plugging in the stove and then pressing a couple of buttons within a certain time. Mine defaulted to high-low when I wanted it to run on-off so I had to change that mode in mine after connecting it to a thermostat. Find the manual for your model to see how to change this (assuming your model can do so.)

We moved into a house 4 months ago. It has a pellet stove that is 6 years old. We are troubleshooting some minor issues, but one in particular we cannot figure out and I cannot reach tech support. It's an Englander stove that is hooked up to a thermostat. Per the manual, the stove should not shut off when the set temperature is reached, it should maintain a low burn until it goes up again. Ours turns completely off every time then starts back up again when the temperature goes down. Any ideas as to what's going on? Any information would be appreciated.
You don't mention what model stove you have. That would be helpful.
My PDVC runs high-low and if it really goes out, it doesn't relight, it goes into shutdown. If your stove is relighting, it isn't going out completely. Try increasing the LFF (low fuel feed) by a step or two. LFF is the left hand button at the bottom of the control panel. That will give the stove a little more fuel at the low setting. Alternatively you can try lowering the low burn air (second button at the bottom), that will make the fire burn a little slower.

Copy and paste from 25-ep manual:

THERMOSTAT OPERATION: This stove is equipped with a unique, new feature that
allows two options for thermostatic operation: The stove comes from the factory pre-
programmed in “On/Off mode,” which turns the stove on and off when the call for heat
comes or leaves, like a furnace. The second, or “High/Low mode,” burns at whichever
heat range you set the stove at until the call for heat leaves, at which point the stove goes
to the Low heat range setting.
 To set the stove in the “High/Low mode,” unplug the unit and plug it back in, then press
and release both down arrows; H L appears in the heat range and blower speed windows.
The unit is now in “High/Low mode.” (Note: Repeat this to change back to “On/Off
mode;” a 0 0 will appear in the heat range and blower speed windows). Using a
thermostat in On/Off mode may shorten the life of your stove’s igniter.

Copy and paste from 25-ep manual:

THERMOSTAT OPERATION: This stove is equipped with a unique, new feature that
allows two options for thermostatic operation: The stove comes from the factory pre-
programmed in “On/Off mode,” which turns the stove on and off when the call for heat
comes or leaves, like a furnace. The second, or “High/Low mode,” burns at whichever
heat range you set the stove at until the call for heat leaves, at which point the stove goes
to the Low heat range setting.
 To set the stove in the “High/Low mode,” unplug the unit and plug it back in, then press
and release both down arrows; H L appears in the heat range and blower speed windows.
The unit is now in “High/Low mode.” (Note: Repeat this to change back to “On/Off
mode;” a 0 0 will appear in the heat range and blower speed windows). Using a
thermostat in On/Off mode may shorten the life of your stove’s igniter.

Thank you so much for the information. The igniter did die, but now the auxiliary control panel died as well. We just ordered a new one and should have it next week. I didn't find the manual very helpful, your information is clear and perfect, thank you again.

Status
Not open for further replies.