Thermostat for P43

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Boorus

Feb 21, 2019
Michigan
I have been using a Skytech 3301 on a St.Croix Hastings that I sold and am replacing with a Harman P43. I would like to use the skytech on the P43 but have been told both that yes it will work and no it will not work!!! Does anyone have information or experience with using the skytech 3301 with a P43? I am hoping to have the new stove up and running this weekend.

Plenty of write ups on this forum about thermostats and Harman's. Basically the receiver is wired in series with the temperature probe on back of stove.

No need to cut wires, just unplug one if the probe leads and plug into receiver, the other receiver lead goes back into stove terminal. Works in room mode and usually stove temperature is set 5 or 10 degrees higher than the thermostat temperature, but that temp delta is up to you based on experience over time.

I'm sure there will be plenty of people on here that will take exception to what I'm about to say, but I'm just going to give you my observations on using a Programmable thermostat with one of my P61's; I actually used more pellets with a thermostat than without.

On my set-up I already had the room probe in the same location (approximately 35' from the stove) as where I placed the Thermostat. so no change to sensing location. My observation, after much adjusting and trying to get a similar burn rate with the thermostat as I had without (while maintaining the same consistent temperature as with the probe) was that the probe did a better job at maintaining the desired temperature without the ups and downs. The probe was also more efficient in that with the probe I have (and always did) use about 1 bag every 24 hours with the same outside temperatures as experienced when using the T-stat., however when using the T-stat I was going through 1-1/2 bags per 24 hour period. The only reason I tried a t-stat set-up was to have the convenience of adjusting the room temp from location other than the stove, but after the results I achieved, I can walk to the stove and adjust the temps accordingly.

This is just my experience, as you know there are several t-stats in use on many different brands of stoves on this forum, but in my experience the original Harman room sensing probe, when used in a remote location, performs just fine without the temperature ups & downs I experienced with a t-stat all the while using less pellets. Of course the downfall is you don't have the programmable convenience, you have to manually adjust your setbacks during the time of day or night that you don't want to maintain a higher temperature.

Also; jzm2cc is correct in how you will need to connect your stat to the P43.

Its all about being able to adjust the swing temp differential if your using a thermostat for pellets or LP gas, most thermostats have a swing temp of 2* or less which doesn't let the stove radiate heat just chews through pellets while cycling up and down, I agree that setting it manually is more efficient than a thermostat on many pellet stoves, but there are a few exceptions if the stove is tuned perfectly for your setup, proper location of thermostat, you have a well insulated area you are heating and a OAK.

I have had good luck using the room probe. I can hold temp pretty close looking at stat 30' away. In my situation I have probe at waist level taped to wall beside stove. I set stove at 73 and it holds room at about 70