Thermostat on Mt. Vernon AE Insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gaddy

Oct 10, 2013
Hi- I'm struggling with programming the thermostat to come on when it should call for heat. I set the Auto/Manual/Off to Automatic. I go to Program and set the days of the weeks and the temp I want. I have tested it several times. For example. I'll call for heat at 72 degrees at 5pm on Friday. Every other time and day are set for 58 degrees. I'll program it at 4pm for example to come on at 5pm and it immediate fires up when I program it. Shouldn't it come on at 5pm? Sorry this is tough to explain.

I believe Auto/Manual/Off refers to the heat output.

But as for the programming, there's Wake, Day, Evening, Night which you can adjust as to what time each refers to. (eg. wake can be set at 6 AM or 6:30 AM, or whatever), then you set the temperature at what you want it to be at that time using the up/down buttons. If the temperature falls at or below your temperature differental at the time you set it, it will turn on.

There's no setting it to "come on", you can't set it to call for heat no matter what except if you set the program for something ridiculous like 98 degrees or something.

The temperature differental is the difference between what the temperature actually is and what you have it set to. for example, if your differential is 2.0 degrees, and you have it set for 72, if the actual temperature is 70 or less, it will call for heat.

The only way I can see it doing what you are saying is if you have the day/time set wrong or its a coincidence you are setting it up and it happens to call for heat at the time, or you're actually changing the desired room temperature instead of programming the thermostat.

I have a MVAE free standing. I think you may have your Program or dates/times wrong. It's not a very user friendly thermostat. My suggestion is to complete all your settings (pellet type, temp diff, flame height, date/time, set it to Auto, etc.,) but DON'T program it yet. Then exit out by hitting "Done", which you may need to do several times to fully exit out of all programming. Then go back in and program your daily settings after 30 seconds or so. The AE stat can be confusing otherwise and you can easily mess up your earlier settings if you try to do too much at once.

Auto refers to the stove's control of things like flame height, in that it will begin to back off in intensity as it approaches its target temp. Moderately useful, but I find it sort of hovers at a degree or so under target temp when very cold outside because it never quite reaches it sometimes, simply because it "puts on the brakes" too soon. Temp differential is how far below target temp it will fall before turning the stove back on. This applies to your comfort and also how often the stove will reignite. It will turn on more often at 0.5 degree diff than 2.0 degrees, for example, but your temperature in he house will be steadier.

Bottom line is that it should be coming on to bring room up to temp you set at the programmed time, not before, as that capability is not built into the AE. So if it's coming on earlier, it's likely not programmed correctly.

Status
Not open for further replies.