Thermostat or control board

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

BigJohnfromCT

Feeling the Heat
Dec 29, 2012
Danbury, CT
Attached is a video file of my blinking thermostat. I have no idea what is wrong, i.e. is it the thermostat or the control board in the stove and given the high price of both I'm trying to narrow it down. Here's what I know:
-Stove is a Quad MVAE, dealer installed in March 2011
-It happens randomly
-Thermostat does not lose the program
-I installed a new Tripplite surge protector last week thinking it might be dirty power.
-Sometimes it will stop by itself, sometimes I pull the plug on the stove to clear it up
-Stove seems to run fine except for this flashing thermostat
-Wires on back of stove and t-stat are tight
-Happens whether the stove is dirty or clean
-I'm out of ideas

Any thoughts or questions are welcome. Thank you for reading. BTW, the file takes a few seconds to down load

Attachments

• Thermostat 5-11-19_2.mp4
    18.9 MB · Views: 268
So I'm looking at about $265 for a new t-stat or $531 for a new control board. Unfortunately, as they are both electronic components neither are returnable. Guess I'll just wait it out.

Unhook the T-stat and see if the stove runs normal.

Not sure that the stove can be operated w/o the t-stat.

Oh ok, its the quad wall unit My bad. I was thinking a normal tstat

Have you ever cut the ends off the tstat wires that go to the stove? The wires are small and cheap and can get a bad signal back there. Cut ends off and attach wires to screws. Also on the back side of the screws, the wires are zip tied together and sometimes that tie can be too tight. Cut it off. Check wire connections on tstat. You can try to reboot the system by unplugging stove. Turn dial on control board to 1. Plug stove back in and wait till it is done doing an auto clean. Unplug stove, and turn dial back to zero. Plug stove back in and see how it does. I had to replace my control board on my 06 this winter as a relay went out on it finally. Luckily, I had my old board yet and put it in, and works fine. kap

And if need be, I have my old wall control you could try, to eliminate if it is the wall control or the control board. kap

That’s a pretty common issue with the AE. Sometimes it’s the wires, sometimes is the ribbon connector in the wall control being loose, sometimes it’s the buildup of static electricity in the system which can be remedied by unplugging the unit temporarily and running a humidifier to decrease static electricity that is common with dry air in the winter. Sometimes it is a legit short in the board or wall control. If it’s one of those, it usually gets worse and will start going completely blank for extended periods or only partially displaying. Bottom line, try the cheap fixes first.

Sorry for the late replies. I've been in the hospital (11th time in two years). Am now home, doing well and recuperating. I hate when posters make no attempt to answer those who try to provide assistance. It will be sometime before I can get back to the problem. Thank you again.

Reactions: kappel15