Thermostat

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jojo6714

Jul 30, 2009
Maine
I have an Englander Stove 55-SHP240. I am thinking about adding a thermostat, but I am not sure I want to spend 167 on it. Plus it does not seem like it can be programed. My question is can I use a regular programable heat thermostat, and how would I wire it in?

You can use most thermostats with that stove. I used the RiteTemp 5-1-1 Programmable thermostat model 6022 when I had my Englander last year.

You can use any thermostat that support millivolt systems - which is just about most thermostats. For digital thermostats you will need one that is battery operated.

I'm not familiar with the larger Englander, but on the smaller one when an external thermostat does not call for heat the stove idles down to minimum fuel burn instead of shutting off. That makes using a programmable thermostat somewhat limited versus on stoves that shutdown completely.

I used a $20 unit from walmart on mine wired with speaker wire. still works great. If you only run your stove on heat settings 1 or 2 you don't need one.
I run my stove hard in the dead of winter and found the thermostat a great addition.

blanc12 said:
I used a $20 unit from walmart on mine wired with speaker wire. still works great. If you only run your stove on heat settings 1 or 2 you don't need one.
I run my stove hard in the dead of winter and found the thermostat a great addition.

I use the same approach with the cheap t'stat for my Revolution, worked fine all last winter. If yer cold, turn it up, if yer hot turn it down. Wife is home most of the time, big thing I guess with programmable is if no one is home all day, have it ramp up before you get home. It does take longer to warm up the house with a pellet stove than oil or gas. BUT, that's just MY opinion.

jsph said:
I have an Englander Stove 55-SHP240. I am thinking about adding a thermostat, but I am not sure I want to spend 167 on it. Plus it does not seem like it can be programed. My question is can I use a regular programable heat thermostat, and how would I wire it in?

For some weird reason, the QuadraFires call for a 12 volt AC thermostat.................... Try to find one of them... The dealer installed a 24 volt on the Sante Fe and a wireless on the Castile. As far as I can see it just opens and closes a contact. Don't know where the 12 V AC comes in. Maybe they just want to be sure the contacts can handle at least 12 V. Most can handle up to 30 V AC.

Status
Not open for further replies.