Thoughts on how to remove old Majestic metal fireplace?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

rcspencer1

Jan 29, 2023
Wayland MA
I have an old Majestic metal corner fireplace (Model M28) that's probably from the 1980's, and I'd like to put an LED insert into the opening but don't have enough room, so looking for any advice/tips. The doors came off very easily but I need to reduce the metal flanges on both top/bottom and sides, so before I start cutting metal I thought I'd check here to see if anyone has ever removed one of these? I've posted a few pics, but let me know if other pics would be helpful. Thank you.

Majestic fireplace pic1.jpgMajestic fireplace pic2.JPGMajestic fireplace pic3.JPGMajestic fireplace pic4.JPGMajestic fireplace pic5.JPG

As soon as the fireplace is cut, it is destroyed and unable to serve as a fireplace anymore.

Is an LED fireplace an electric fireplace? If so what is the insert make and model?

Also be advised, usually with those zero clearance units, once you remove it, the whole package comes out, meaning the air cooled chimney pipe and all, behind the unit will more then likely be a bunch of old insulation and stud walls going up a the route of the chimney. This maybe more work then what you want to put in for this time of year.

As soon as the fireplace is cut, it is destroyed and unable to serve as a fireplace anymore.

Is an LED fireplace an electric fireplace? If so what is the insert make and model?
Yeah, agreed and I'm ok with that since it doesn't work well at all, which is why I want to replace with an LED insert that has a heat blower to help warm the room. The replacement I'm looking at is from Fireblaze (see pic below), since it's the perfect width and height once I can adjust the opening. Thanks for your help - much appreciated!

Fireblaze LED insert from Amazon.JPG

My understanding is that you desire to keep the fireplace, but to cut the opening to enlarge it to fit this electric insert, correct? As long as it is understood that the fireplace is destroyed once the cutting begins then this should work. A permanent sign should be mounted at the back of the fireplace declaring that can not be used for wood burning before installing the LED FP insert. I would also cap off the chimney to eliminate the possibility of water intrusion from wind-driven rain.

If the desire is to keep the fireplace intact for resale then just go down in size a little to a 23 or 24" FP insert.

Screen Shot 2023-01-29 at 10.32.55 AM.png
Screen Shot 2023-01-29 at 10.39.08 AM.png

My understanding is that you desire to keep the fireplace
I read that title quite literally, but at least the OP has an idea of a potential can of worms that a crowbar and hammer can have.

I read that title quite literally, but at least the OP has an idea of a potential can of worms that a crowbar and hammer can have.
Yes, I am assuming that the only tools used here would be a hacksaw, an angle grinder, or sawzall to trim the opening slightly.

Yes, I am assuming that the only tools used here would be a hacksaw, an angle grinder, or sawzall to trim the opening slightly.
Yes agreed and that's what I'm going to try and do. Sorry for any confusion, but my goal is to keep virtually all of it in place and just trim the flanges on top/bottom so that the insert can fit in. The flue is closed, but I like the idea of closing off the chimney completely. Thanks all!