Tig Welding - Cup - Tungsten size - filler rod type - Pre flow & Post flow Argon or mix? - Any Tips or Tricks??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Don2222

Minister of Fire
Feb 1, 2010
Salem NH
Hello
Have a little down time so I scored a new TiG.
Lot to learn here!
The Vulcan Pro Tig 205 was on and off sale all winter! So the last night of the last sale, I did the $100 off pre sale with an extra 10% off by getting the HF credit card. Then I had to wait one month for it to come in! Just in time for my Bday! LOL
So this is my very first attempt for mild steel to practice.
I set the mode from AC to DC Tig with pulse on @ 120 Amps - cup size 5 - Using a filler rod ER70S-2 diameter 1/16" holding the 3/32” tungsten 1/16" from the work piece with torch in left hand and filler rod in right hand and pressing down on the foot peddle with 100% argon approx 15 psi pre flow of 0.3 secs and post flow of 3.0 secs!!
I think next time I will try a larger cup size of #6 or #7 and since the #17 torch & hose felt a little stiff and cumbersome to hold, I ordered a super flex hose from www.usaweld.com
TIG Torch Super-Flex Cables
Also I want to get some Pyrex cups. Are they easier to work with??
This is quite a bit different than MIG but since I do not have to keep up with the wire speed and I can control the torch, foot peddle and dab the filler rod at a slower speed, I might be able to do it. LOL
Also I heard a 50/50 Argon / helium mix is better for Aluminum with an ER4043 - 3/32” filler rod and AC mode is a must?
What is needed to braze cast iron?
Any Tungsten Inert Gas or TIG experts here?Any tips or tricks?

Pic 1 - 3 New Welder
Pic 4 - first run top of workpiece
Pic 5 - Bottom of workpiece
Pic 6 - DC welding
Pic 7 - AC welding
Pic 8 - welder in box
It also comes with a stinger for doing stick.

AFBACF4F-8088-488C-B4C6-C68E9F0F27AD.png 0BB3E2E3-B4AF-44F5-ABB6-AB82F1B88DC0.jpeg DCEBE889-14F5-433A-998A-217EF445DD36.jpeg 87252A5F-3384-4B02-B322-2CAD81497378.jpeg D9D97724-CB49-4BA8-A539-84B007DF6EFD.jpeg 1A583A2E-573A-41B1-A2D2-648E21B9781A.jpeg 3EB5136D-7583-498B-9A89-F5D77977A2C6.jpeg 1CD12599-E293-470E-8CFD-D259F205A6F4.jpeg

Last edited:
Hello
Finally got the TiG setup with the Pyrex cup and super flex hose. The replacement torch did not come with a handle so that is on the way. Harbor Freight does not sell the large Dinse plug but USAWeld.com has them.
I like the screen that distributes the gas better so now with the flex hose it seems to be easier to maneuver and I can practice better with this.

CA0B9628-C527-403F-8B18-3E387F755612.jpeg 2D424D13-432A-4DED-8C29-3047CCB58007.jpeg

Big thing with steel TIG is it needs clean material, take a flap wheel or sanding wheel and clean off the mill scale before welding. If you do need to weld on dirtier steel grab ER70S-6 wire, it has more deoxidizers in it and will make a better weld.

For aluminum you must run AC, the constant reversing of the polarity cleans the oxide layer from the aluminum permitting a sounds weld. 50/50 argon/helium is not required, and IMO is an expensive substitute for too small a machine. Helium makes the weld hotter, compensating for a lower output machine. Every welder I know welds Aluminum exclusively with pure Argon, but many of them are running large 300 amp+ machines with liquid cooled torches and make a living doing it. There is a learning curve to it, Aluminum is probably the most difficult common metal to weld, but there's lot of good videos on YouTube to help with that.

One thing to note is to avoid Thoriated tungsten, thorium is slightly radioactive, grinding the tungsten releases this thorium as dust which can be easily inhaled into the lungs. There are many other options without Thorium that work just as well.

Reactions: Don2222
Big thing with steel TIG is it needs clean material, take a flap wheel or sanding wheel and clean off the mill scale before welding. If you do need to weld on dirtier steel grab ER70S-6 wire, it has more deoxidizers in it and will make a better weld.

For aluminum you must run AC, the constant reversing of the polarity cleans the oxide layer from the aluminum permitting a sounds weld. 50/50 argon/helium is not required, and IMO is an expensive substitute for too small a machine. Helium makes the weld hotter, compensating for a lower output machine. Every welder I know welds Aluminum exclusively with pure Argon, but many of them are running large 300 amp+ machines with liquid cooled torches and make a living doing it. There is a learning curve to it, Aluminum is probably the most difficult common metal to weld, but there's lot of good videos on YouTube to help with that.

One thing to note is to avoid Thoriated tungsten, thorium is slightly radioactive, grinding the tungsten releases this thorium as dust which can be easily inhaled into the lungs. There are many other options without Thorium that work just as well.
Wow, thanks for the tips, I have the 250 VAC pro Tig with AC option welder so I may have enough juice without the helium. Thanks about the thoriated tungsten too!

Wow, thanks for the tips, I have the 250 VAC pro Tig with AC option welder so I may have enough juice without the helium. Thanks about the thoriated tungsten too!

For aluminum it's all dependent on thickness, aluminum is a very good conductor of heat, and thick material wicks away the heat very quickly making it impossible to puddle if the machine is too small. My Lincoln Squarewave 200 has very similar specs to yours, you will be able to weld up to 1/4" with it if the parts aren't too big. Pre-heating with a propane torch can help a lot on heavy aluminum parts and allow you to weld thicker sections easier.

For steel 200 amps will do everything you want to do.

I really like the 170 amp output for stick, lets me run up to a 5/32" 7018 rod, I much prefer welding with stick over MIG, my poor mig machine hasn't been used since I bought the squarewave.

If your looking for some good videos welding tips and tricks has a lot of great ones, here is his intro to TIG:

Latest news on Harbor Freight Web Site

The ProTIG™ 205 Industrial Welder is a 120v/240v TIG welder that combines intuitive setup with advanced control for professional results

Due to popular demand this product is currently out of stock and will not be back in stock until Oct 10, 2021 Order now to reserve your unit