Timberline woodstove door gasket size

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Rusty1

Jan 14, 2023
Hill, NH
New member here. I recently bought a house and it has a Timberline stove in the basement. It has double doors and measures 22" x 11" at the opening. I am not sure what model I have.

I would like to replace the door gaskets since I occasionally get a puff of smoke coming from the top of the doors and the gasket is none existent in a few areas. The stove itself is very solid and heats up nicely.

I have been searching the web to get the gasket size and type, but I am finding people have used 1/4", 3/8" and 1/2" on their stoves. I also found articles stating the stove does not require any gaskets at all.

I cleaned out the channel and measured 1/2" wide by 1/4" deep. I know from past experience if I go too large I will have issues with closing the doors. I know this is an old stove and is no longer being manufactured but I would like to keep it around for a few more years.

Any information on gasket size and type is greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Rick

A customer of mine picked up a timberline in upstate NY. Had a brand new gasket on it when she got it and doors wouldn't close right. So I posted about it and someone replied with this link

I'm in this exact same situation. Have a double door Timberline with nice gold accent paint as the snow on the tree tops and mountains. Been burning every night since 1 Nov with no plans to upgrade at the moment. I bought 1/2" round gasket, but think I'll look for the flat as I think the round will stick out too much and interfere with closing the doors.

I'm in this exact same situation. Have a double door Timberline with nice gold accent paint as the snow on the tree tops and mountains. Been burning every night since 1 Nov with no plans to upgrade at the moment. I bought 1/2" round gasket, but think I'll look for the flat as I think the round will stick out too much and interfere with closing the doors.
Yea I can tell you the doors definitely don't close right with 1/2" round gasket in the door channel, but might work in the channel on the unit itself. Are you getting any smoke in the house? This stove was hooked up to a brand new 8" double wall system that I installed and zero smoke smell in the house without any door gaskets. Stove runs great, I figure if the manufacturer never put gaskets on and someone else said their stove was less efficient with flat gaskets, why bother?

I'm not getting smoke in the house, it's drafting well. My stove has flat gasket on the doors that is falling off so I was planning on replacing that. I figure having them gives me more precise control with the damper and vents. I saw the channel on the unit and I ordered a 1/2" round and 5/8" inch flat gasket so I'll see what looks like it might work.

I'm not getting smoke in the house, it's drafting well. My stove has flat gasket on the doors that is falling off so I was planning on replacing that. I figure having them gives me more precise control with the damper and vents. I saw the channel on the unit and I ordered a 1/2" round and 5/8" inch flat gasket so I'll see what looks like it might work.
How long have you had the stove? If you had it new did it come with the gaskets?
Let me know how it works out.

How long have you had the stove? If you had it new did it come with the gaskets?
Let me know how it works out.
It came with the house I bought a few months ago. Currently has gaskets in it that are falling apart. They look like flat gaskets in the door channels.

Just replaced the failing gasket in the timberline with a new flat gasket 5/8 inch. Seals nicely.

Cleaned out channels and new gaskets installed.

IMG_20231231_082541.jpg IMG_20231231_082544.jpg IMG_20231231_085750.jpg IMG_20231231_085755.jpg IMG_20231231_085900.jpg