Timberwolf TW-P1 Good price for a used splitter?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Roxburyeric

Hearth Supporter
Feb 6, 2008
Western Connecticut
I am in the market for a splitter and came across a used Timberwolf TW-P1 from a very reputable power equipment shop near me that sells, services and rents them. They normally sell them after a couple seasons. The unit looks in good shape and I know they maintain their equipment so is $1,200 a good deal for this or am I asking for trouble as it was a rental? They mentioned warranting the unit - but no specifics on that yet as I haven't really negotiated yet. There is no lift or table accessories on it. Thoughts?

I'd want to know about its use history, what they've done to it (maint, repair), and what their "warranty" covers. I'd also want to know what other similar models are going for in your neck of the woods. There is a lot of variability in used splitter prices depending on how prevalent they are where you live.

You should be able to get it new for $1800 with a 4-way if you negotiate a bit, so keep that figure in mind when you' re considering the used unit. Dealer cost, with shipping to them, should be around $1450 for a new unit.

Eric, as for the unit itself, the TW-P1 is a good splitter. Honda engine, beefy construction, Prince hydraulics (I think). Folks who purchase them from us love them.

How much should you pay? How does the unit look? Does it run perfectly? Hoses chaffed? Leaky or damaged cylinder? Is the beam straight?

After you buy it, why don't you drop it by my place next summer when I'm doing wood so I can evaluate it for you. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.