New to me Timberwolf TW-p1

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I think the TW slip on 4 way is a match for my wing wedge. I'm thinking I might look around for one.

Nice! Looks almost new. I noticed it has a dual stage splitting wedge where it starts splitting wider at the bark edge (or whatever edge is on the table). Seems like a good idea for difficult rounds.

The lower projection on the wedge is there to index the 4-way wedge to the right height, rather than it being a two-stage wedge on purpose. The 4-way is offset and asymmetrical such that you can install it one way on the wedge and have the cross at one height, or flip it over and have it at a different height. It is a good design.

To OP, the 4-way is a must. The increase in productivity is totally worth it. I have one of these and only use the single wedge to shave bad elm or knots apart.

Some of the comments about the flaws of this machine are correct. I think the beam height is the biggest issue, but honestly this isn't just a TW-P1 issue - the tw5 beam isn't much better, and it leaves my back tired and hurting, too. Having put some time on the kinetic splitters, the combination of their speed and height has me sold! The price tag that accompanies them, however, not so much so ($3500 or so).

Ultimately, as OP will find out, this is a solid model and will do him well for a long, long time. Give it an oil change as needed and a fluid change every few years, and you will be good to go!

Reactions: VirginiaIron