timer wall switches

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

stoveliker

Minister of Fire
Nov 17, 2019
Long Island NY
Not really green energy, but conserving energy.

I know there are many solutions, but bear with me - I can't find one that fits my needs (and my wife's wishes).

We have a light in the stairwells down to the basement.
The only switch is near the top of the stairs. None downstairs.
Running a wire for a hotel switch (correct name in English?) is very difficult in this location, so out of the question.
I am the kind of dad who "politely tells his kids" to switch of the *&($) light when they're done. But, especially with this one, that does not happen. (Kids go down, and out the garage, light remains on. Yes, it's a LED light, but still...)

So, I've been looking for a light switch that automatically switches off after, say, 3 (1-5) minutes.
There are old fashioned spring-rotation ones. That's a no-go for the wife.
Hence, I would like one that works by simply pressing a button, as it is now. However, all I can find are fancy ones with digital electronics - that therefore need a neutral wire, which is not in this box.

So, do any of you know of a switch that can run a count-down timer for a few minutes, that does not need a neutral wire, and looks "fairly normal" in terms of design? There are digital ones that can be set up by accessing buttons after opening a little lid - and when closed it's almost a normal switch. But - digital ->need of neutral.

I am not hopeful to get a good suggestion given the amount of digging I've done so far, but it's worth a try...

Quick answer is have you thought of a 'motion sensor' light or bulb? I had a similar problem in my garage (which was switched OUTSIDE the garage for some reason), and it was a lot of watts of LEDs. Being dark when you entered the garage, and getting left on after you went into the house. Motion sensor light was cheap and solved my problem completely.

Reactions: ispinwool
I can't find it online, but I think I literally have the thing you're looking for sitting in my junk drawer. I'll try to remember to check when I get home. It's a "resistive only" digital timer switch made by Leviton, just two hot wires and is powered by running a small current through the load when it's off.

I bought it at home depot by accident thinking it could power my bath fan but it could not. I had to order the one *with* a neutral wire to replace it.

Edit: This

Yes, thought of that (motion sensor). But given that the sensor would detect motion in the living room and main hallways on the main floor (and I am not aware of sensors that can limit detection to a 3' max range), that unfortunately won't work.

I can't find it online, but I think I literally have the thing you're looking for sitting in my junk drawer. I'll try to remember to check when I get home. It's a "resistive only" digital timer switch made by Leviton, just two hot wires and is powered by running a small current through the load when it's off.
nice. If you can get me the part number (if you find you indeed have it), I'd be much obliged.

Just updated my post above.
Good suggestion. It looks like that only works with incandescent lamps, so no LED or compact fluorescents. Or maybe it would work if there is at least one incandescent. (Not sure how many bulbs there are in the basement.)

Reactions: fbelec
Good suggestion. It looks like that only works with incandescent lamps, so no LED or compact fluorescents.
Yeah, they say that. I think it's because it trickles a bit of current through when it's off which might be enough to glow an LED bulb. idk

The sensor(s) would screw into the basement light(s)
Sorry to not have been clear enough.
The light is on the wall of the stairs, near the main floor. (And shines down, illuminating the stairs). There are other lights in the basement, with a switch at the bottom of the stairs.

Thanks @gthomas785 .
Yes, I had seen this one. People in the reviews say it won't work with LEDs.

Sorry to not have been clear enough.
The light is on the wall of the stairs, near the main floor. (And shines down, illuminating the stairs). There are other lights in the basement, with a switch at the bottom of the stairs.
So which lights would be on the timer? Just the stairwell light? What about the lights in the basement? Do they get left on? (this happens to my neighbor all the time)

So which lights would be on the timer? Just the stairwell light? What about the lights in the basement? Do they get left on? (this happens to my neighbor all the time)
yes, just the stairwell.
The light switches at the bottom of the stairs for the lights in the basement have a second switch near the door to the garage (the only other exit from the basement). And yes, they still get left on every now and then ::-)

Maybe the solution is to better raise my kids ;em

Reactions: EbS-P
With a 9w LED bulb for the stairwell, the power hit is small and it sounds like it's visible to others in the house, so it won't stay on for too long.
Maybe the solution is to better raise my kids ;em
LOL, this is such a common issue. It's good to get them in the habit. Let them know that being frugal with resources is their way of helping reduce their impact on the planet.

Reactions: stoveliker
With a 9w LED bulb for the stairwell, the power hit is small.

LOL, this is such a common issue. It's good to get them in the habit. Let them know that being frugal with resources is their way of helping reduce their impact on the planet.

And then they call me outside, and point to the solar panels on the roof... "It's free, dad"...!!!
Teaching them to be responsible with things they know don't cost me much is even harder. (They don't have a grasp yet of the thousands of $$ that went in there.)

Okay. I'll keep an eye out (on this thread, of course, and online).

It ain't free at night kids, and not in the winter around here. Give a hug.

Reactions: begreen
Thank you sir!

Reactions: brenndatomu
Pricey little switch. Doing some quick math. A 10w LED left on 10hrs a day would use .1 kW of electricity per day. Figure the local rate, say 15¢ per kWh. $57/.015 = 3800 hrs of running at 10hr/day.
I know, but it's the principle!

Pricey little switch. Doing some quick math. A 10w LED left on 10hrs a day would use .1 kW of electricity per day. Figure the local rate, say 15¢ per kWh. $57/.015 = 3800 hrs of running at 10hr/day.
I know, but it's the principle!
Yeah, kinda what I thought...cheaper to just use an LED bulb and then yell at the lil buggers to turn it off...or not, as your math has shown, might not be worth the blood pressure meds. ;lol
Bulbs are fairly cheap, but they probably last the longest being left on more than lots of quick on/off runs...my dad has an old radio in his shop that he leaves on all the time (keeps the rats calm I guess) and that thing is super old, still going...I really think its because it is always on unless power fails...

Reactions: gthomas785
Probably true, warm electronics are not as susceptible to moisture/corrosion, and less temperature cycling means less stress on the circuit board.

They also have wireless switches that run on a battery. They are paired with the powered switch. So you could have a switch downstairs without snaking another wire.

Thinkbee Wireless Lights Switch Kit, No Wiring Mini Remote Switch, No WiFi Needed, Outdoor 1969ft Indoor 328ft Remote Control Lighting Fixture for Led Light, Ceiling Lights and Lamps, Waterproof Amazon product ASIN B0814R5PSX

Might be a cheap way to school them to conserve and that power is not just free. Rather than getting a big surprise on your bill and finding that they’re running an electric heater in their room without asking.

I see plenty of led bulbs and base adapters for cheap with timers, but they seem to stop at 2 hours minimum. Still better than it being left on all night, but seems like shorter timers must exist for similar price.

Last edited:
Yeah, kinda what I thought...cheaper to just use an LED bulb and then yell at the lil buggers to turn it off...or not, as your math has shown, might not be worth the blood pressure meds. ;lol
Bulbs are fairly cheap, but they probably last the longest being left on more than lots of quick on/off runs...my dad has an old radio in his shop that he leaves on all the time (keeps the rats calm I guess) and that thing is super old, still going...I really think its because it is always on unless power fails...
exactly. I was a little taken aback by the price. But finding one might (did not try yet) lead me to another (finding a mention somewhere where people compare them or so).

But yes, the principle. And my OCD :p