Tips and Suggestions For New Owner of an Old Timberline

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

blahhalb

Dec 25, 2023
MERKA
I bought a place this summer with a double door Timberline stove that I've been using as a primary heat source. It has a 90-degree bend in the pipe inside the house, heads into the wall, and then another 90-degree bend heading up to the roof, with a ~24' run to the top. It has a flue damper before the first 90-degree bend. I'm burning pine that is 20% or less moisture content.

Some things I've noticed. The stove is fully up to temp in about 15 minutes. I usually leave the doors open for the first 5 minutes, then close them but have the air vents fully open for another 10 minutes or so, then crank them down to 1/8" open. Up to this point I have only ever left the flue damper fully open. There is a flat gasket on the doors that's missing in a few spots so the stove is definitely not air tight. Within 15 minutes, the magnetic thermometer on the flue is reading between 500F and 550F and the stove top maxes out my infrared thermometer with temps over 715F.

Anyone have some tips (other than buying a newer stove) to get the most out of this thing? Should I use the damper once I dial down the vents? Am I letting the stove get too hot before closing down the vents or is it good to get it up to temp quickly?

Thanks.

I suppose replacing the gaskets is a good spot to start if looking to get performance out of the stove. Missing gaskets make controlling the stove harder.

You may, or may not, need to touch the flue damper. The outside temperature can dictate whether that is needed on an otherwise well set up system.

Definitely try closing down the flue damper once the fire is burning strongly. A lot of heat is being wasted up the flue. Slowing down the draft will help the burn last longer.

Definitely try closing down the flue damper once the fire is burning strongly. A lot of heat is being wasted up the flue. Slowing down the draft will help the burn last longer.
How much should I close it? And should I be concerned about creosote build up on and around the damper?

Last edited:
It depends on the strength of the draft. If it's mild outside, maybe none at all. But when it's colder it might be able to be closed all the way. Some flue gases will still make it by, they only close off about 75%. You'll have to experiment to see what works best. Put the flue thermometer over the damper and by using the flue damper + air controls, see if you can keep the flue surface temp below 350ºF.