Tips for running my P68 in "shoulder season"

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Veracity

Dec 20, 2014
Long Island, NY
Guys,

Thanks to some of the advice I received here, I was able to run my P68 full blast for the last six weeks or so.
Now that it's in the 40s and spring is near, any suggestions as to how to run it in shoulder season?

I came home from a business trip to find my wife complaining that it was too hot in the house. The last few days have been the first days above freezing in quite a while.

I run mine in Constant Burn.

So....I turned the Constant Burn down to 2, left the pellet feed where it was....on 3, and turned the fan down a bit. This seems to be working ok.

The thing is, I want to turn the temp down AND burn fewer pellets.

Thoughts?

Advice?

A bikini might help. Just say'n.[/quo
I have the next size down P61A..
In weather like this[shoulder season] you can be using room mode/Auto.
this way as it warms up the stove will ramp down and eventually will shut off if it gets warm enough,,then
fire back up if needed...
I am running room temp/Auto, set at 70, low fan/feed rate#3 is about normal..
don't forget in room mode, the stove will only use what it needs in pellets and obviously use none when it is off...

Guys,

Thanks to some of the advice I received here, I was able to run my P68 full blast for the last six weeks or so.
Now that it's in the 40s and spring is near, any suggestions as to how to run it in shoulder season?

I came home from a business trip to find my wife complaining that it was too hot in the house. The last few days have been the first days above freezing in quite a while.

I run mine in Constant Burn.

So....I turned the Constant Burn down to 2, left the pellet feed where it was....on 3, and turned the fan down a bit. This seems to be working ok.

The thing is, I want to turn the temp down AND burn fewer pellets.

Thoughts?

Advice?
most of us use the temperature probe [room mode/Auto] in the shoulder season..
this way your stove will idle down and could shut off depending on the outside temps affecting the inside, and obviously fire back up if temps drop in the house.
Constant or Stove mode will Always run and never shut off.
I use room Auto/ set arounfd 70/ feed rate #3/low fan..
I used it today as temps here warmed up and stove was off for a while then on then off for pretty much most of the day. Only just fired back up after dark.
That's heck of a lot of Pellets I didn't burn just today....
Note:
some here don't use Auto because they want to save the Igniter.. for what?
you paid lot of good money for the Harman technology and not running in room auto just to save your Igniter is like not running your AC in your to car to save few gallons of gas....
Can get an Harman Igniter for 70.00 IF it craps out someday.. many here have gone years on same Igniter..

Last edited:
Supposed to be in the 40's here today and actually day time for the rest of the week. That's when I switch to Room Temp Auto. If it pans out to actually be in the 40's and sunny today the stove should start shutting down and firing up by noon. Around 2 I'll get a couple hours or more of off time and then in the evening it will fire up for the night, since night time temps are still freezing and of course no solar warming from the sun. Probably when I load the stove this morning I'll flip the ignite on, it's already in Room Temp Mode set at 73.

Supposed to be in the 40's here today and actually day time for the rest of the week. That's when I switch to Room Temp Auto. If it pans out to actually be in the 40's and sunny today the stove should start shutting down and firing up by noon. Around 2 I'll get a couple hours or more of off time and then in the evening it will fire up for the night, since night time temps are still freezing and of course no solar warming from the sun. Probably when I load the stove this morning I'll flip the ignite on, it's already in Room Temp Mode set at 73.
mine shut off around 1PM... Off now till prob early evening then flip back to Manual.

mine shut off around 1PM... Off now till prob early evening then flip back to Manual.
I left mine on, we are going to bake potatoes wrapped in foil in the stove. Otherwise it would be off. Maybe tomorrow. Today it's maintenance burn, it's 47 deg out today though !

Edit: potatoes came out great, maintenance burn with one little ramp up, took an hour and 20 min.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tonyray
I run mine on auto for a while and it does work ok. The stove will ignite and turn off as needed just fine. I use this mode all season with good results - just changing the fan speed when very cold. In my area the days now will be rather warm, so we mostly don't need heat during the day, while we do need it at night. So what I am doing now is just shut the stove down in the morning before I go to work and light it back up when I come home in the evening - this works great for me. I have to use SOME propane or my gas supplier will get suspicious...!

Status
Not open for further replies.