To screen or not to screen

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wood Wules

Jul 30, 2015
Central RI
I have an old Vermont Castings superchamp fireplace insert aka winter warmth. They offer a screen to replace the glass door. I always thought I would get a lot more heat in the room with a screen.

What do you think. Is there a downside to it. If I used the screen could I still turn the damper control way down.

With a screen you could not damper down the air anymore. The insert would essentially work like a fireplace and send most of the heat up the flue. You will get more radiant heat sitting right in front of the insert but overall you can easily have an energy net loss due to the large amount of (cold) outside air that the insert will then pull into the house.

in an emergency you can use it that way, but for Max Heat and Efficiancy you need to govern the air going in to the stove. Does your stove have a fan on it?? some stoves with a fan will suck smoke out of the firebox if the fan is on with the doors open..

Status
Not open for further replies.