To those suffering from TAS!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jason Knapp

Burning Hunk
Dec 11, 2012
Poughkeepsie, NY
TAS, also referred to as Tim Allen Syndrom, is the inability to allow mechanical components to work as designed. Also accounts for the "modification" of said components to make them better, faster etc.
I had an attack of TAS just a short while ago.
Earlier I posted an issue with a convection blower ( Mike Holton came to the rescue quickly!)
But I started thinking of what may have caused this failure. I noticed that the little motor lives in a hot,harsh environment.
So I decided to make a heat shield to see if this helps. Here are some pics. 20131209_152355.jpg20131209_152411.jpg

You might want to see what is next to the blower shell where the motor shaft goes through, on a very large number of blowers there is a cooling fan.

You never want to place anything near that area (and remember that area when cleaning dust bunnies and stuff in there causes all kinds of problems) as it will interfere with the airflow that cools the blower.

Reactions: PoolGuyinCT
There is a cooling fan, but I left enough clearance for plenty of cool air to get to the motor. The heat soak that the motor was suffering from was the reason I put this heat shield on. I'll be sure to keep everyone up to date on my experiment. If I see elevated winding temps I will cut a few reliefs in the shield to uncover more of the cooling fan.

You might want to see what is next to the blower shell where the motor shaft goes through, on a very large number of blowers there is a cooling fan.

You never want to place anything near that area (and remember that area when cleaning dust bunnies and stuff in there causes all kinds of problems) as it will interfere with the airflow that cools the blower.

the bear read my mind..

Reactions: Jason Knapp
UPDATE: After installing my heat shield, my convection blower has had consistant low temps. It runs OK and doesn't whistle or howl like it did. Temps are still a touch on the high side due to the already damaged motor, but it is running a lot better than it was!

'If it has an adjustment on it then it's meant to adjust' is my adage for TAS.
If it were me, I would have made the heat shield out of expanded metal or heavy hardware cloth. That would protect from heat just like in a foundry while also giving more surface area to dissipate the heat that it was absorbing. Other than that, great idea.

Reactions: Jason Knapp
If it had been me I would have done a remote fan in a box with a filter for that effort. Three birds with one fan, cleaner air , cooler fan and possibly quieter.

Believe it or not, this heat shield took less than 1/2 hour to make and maybe $3 in scrap sheet metal!!!!
Thanks for the input everyone, I had a few laughs and some good ideas. The remote mounted blower is a killer idea!

I have one working now but it's not pretty. Basement dweller though. Will bend a box to mount fan and filter next season. Big differance is noise transmitted by fan into stove and less dust is a big plus.

Please send pics if anyone has done a remote mount. It sounds badass!

I was also thinking of placing some kind of heat shield between the firebox and motor in mine to keep the motor cooler. It started to squeal and I got it to quiet down with some lithium grease spray on the shaft end. I am racking my brain to think of what to shield it with that would act as an insulator and not heat up. The combustion motor on these Englanders seem to hold up well as they are about 6 inches from the firebox. The convection motors, however, are closer and seem to overheat the bearings in a lot of peoples stoves.

'If it has an adjustment on it then it's meant to adjust' is my adage for TAS.
If it were me, I would have made the heat shield out of expanded metal or heavy hardware cloth. That would protect from heat just like in a foundry while also giving more surface area to dissipate the heat that it was absorbing. Other than that, great idea.
I was also thinking along the lines of a heat cloth shield for mine. Something to block the heat rather than absorb it as steel would.

Reactions: tjnamtiw
heat shields are cool, I used the back of an old Hobart welder(2x3 sheetmetal) as a heat shield between my old Avalon and the bigscreen cause it got so hot. Problem soved (worked most excellent) and it actually looked alright as it is painted a gloss brown and had 90degree bent sides.

No, I'm not trailer trash. I moved out of my singlewide and now am in my 20x20 shed.:) I only use the trailer for the bathroom and freezer.

ps - I have'nt watched TV for 25-30 yrs.

who is tim allen, is'nt he like that bob villa guy from home depot or sears?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.