To up-grade or rebuild?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

JMotuzick

Jan 5, 2018
Nw Connecticut
So a bit of back story, I grew up on wood! My father has a Harman wood boiler that was added next to a oil boiler back in the 80’s he still has it and it works great! I grew up with this system and know it works great! Even with no power open a few valves and keep a medium fire House is 75f at 15 outside!

I grew and moved out, my starter house was Oil only and no real place for wood.

Now I’m married and in our “adult” house. I’m hoping to be here till they Wheel my out in a bag,50 years from now but time will tell! My wife has bad allergies and asthma. She is very against the smell but loves the heat it provides plus the ability to use it when the power goes out. Our place came with a Tarm 502 it was new when the house was built in 86, so it’s 30+ at this point. It’s in its own closet, basically enough room to use and repair but not much room to change things. In the finished basement, on the other side of the chimney in a different flue, is a quadrafire wood stove. My wife wants to sell the stove and get a propane (we have propane cook top generator and on demand hot water) stove with the glass doors.

Long story longer! I have a separate work shop that has a hot air wood oil combo, no oil tank and a bunch of burned out controls. Basically a wood stove in a big box with a built in fan! So plenty of wood gets cut/stacked either way.

With the 30 year old tarm I’m a bit worried about how long it will last. Looking for advice. Do I replace with a newer dual fuel oil/wood and only use the wood for cold power outages ? Oil only and Cross our fingers? Rebuild the tarm and keep it going 30 more years? Looks like the quadrafire will go either way, so I would like to have something as a back up. If someone makes a propane that does not require electricity I would consider, but I’m worried about not having enough storage..... lots of questions in one post I know! Feel free to steer this topic any witch way. Thanks for your words in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Put a gasser in the workshop, plumbed to the house and your good for thirty more.
I have the Garn jr. in my shop, with a condensing propane boiler in the house which I onLy turn on if I go away.

It’s 300 feet away! Is that even posable? I’m new to all this but that’s really not a bad idea. Just a lot of underground going on between the two already. Power comes from the house plus the well is at 200ft. We have a big deck/gazebo on that side of the house and we are built on ledge... sounds like a lot of work to get the water lines that far....

My house is 325' away. 15-58 pump