Toe Protectors

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Montanalocal

Minister of Fire
Dec 22, 2014
Helena MT
In all my years of cutting I have only had 2 or 3 close calls, and all of them were in the area of the toe of my boots. Not wanting to invest several hundred dollars in steel toed boots that I would use infrequently, I have searched for and purchased detachable steel toe protectors.

They slip on and off easily, and I really do not know I have them on, except when walking on cement. There are cheaper ones out there, but I am very happy with these.

https://www.zoro.com/zoro-select-toe-guard-unisex-universal-pr-5t455/i/G2737594/

100_2004.JPG 100_2008.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Makes me think about modding a pair of toe shields from a worn out pair of boots.

I've heard you can get longer chaps that drape down over the boot to protect the foot.

I agree that steel/composite toe boots are expensive but are well worth it to me. A set of toe protectors would just be one more thing for me to have to get around/keep track of when heading out to cut. I have a pair of Ariat slip ons that are worn daily, well actually I have 2 pair, the old pair is a back up. Both are/were water proof & electric shock proof when new but after 9 years & 2 sets of soles one pair is showing some heavy usage. After working in a machine shop, the oil field & on the farm I have found them invaluable & well worth the money & no pain from crushed toes.

Not the best thing to be working around a chainsaw with for 2 reasons. 1 to many connected tripping hazards with those thins slipped over your boots, 2 a saw hits that its going to skid and kick and possibly contact you elseware. I think a par of reasonably priced steel tow would have been a better chose with the rubber and leather over the toe it lessens the chance of the saw skipping across

would never pay 30 bucks when you can get good boots that are the right tool for the job, good boots that you dont slide all over with are important. i like the light ones from timberland pro. they buy me boots every year but you only get a hundred or 120, if you get them in the truck or alot of the worst work shoe places they are 200. but i try it on there and order it from amazon you can get twice the boot for that. i have to have eh steel or composite.

i have to walk alot normally get the mud slinger or the 6inch black ones, thats what i wear cutting wood, a good boot keeps you from sliding around with a saw in your hand
thy last me a couple years so i alternated, the mud slinger is light but not very warm, good warm weather boot and the other cold

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004RQ5GLG/?tag=hearthamazon-20
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000XF8CVG/?tag=hearthamazon-20

Most folks probably know this, but the composite toe doesn't slow the saw all that much. Take a look at this video:

Steel/composite protective toe boots are NOT for the saw cutting the boot. Who cuts near feet anyhow ?
The protection is for heavy wood dropping on your feet. If you're cutting anywhere close to your feet, get some training first.
Never cut over your head....either !
Look up CPL training.

Steel/composite protective toe boots are NOT for the saw cutting the boot. Who cuts near feet anyhow ?
The protection is for heavy wood dropping on your feet. If you're cutting anywhere close to your feet, get some training first.
Never cut over your head....either !
Look up CPL training.
Even with proper training accidents happen and it is not an uncommon accident to cut your foot with a chainsaw. You also shouldt cut your leg but it happens. The extra protection osnt a bad thing

Last edited:
Reactions: JimBear
reality is you cut the tree where it is, unless you have tree moving equipment, i think most dont.
thanks for the vid i never really thought about it before for that purpose

Reactions: bholler
Training. Experience. Knowledge.
If you cut anywhere close to your toes, shut off the saw. Walk away.
Saws are like firearms, but more risky due to assumptions of skill.
CPL training teaches one thing: the safest tool is your brain.

Reactions: Renovationman
Training. Experience. Knowledge.
If you cut anywhere close to your toes, shut off the saw. Walk away.
Saws are like firearms, but more risky due to assumptions of skill.
CPL training teaches one thing: the safest tool is your brain.
I agree that one should be properly trained and should never cut near their feet. But even the best trained people can still make mistakes and have accidents. Part of being properly trained is knowing that and using protective gear to prevent or minimise injury in the event of an accident. To me that means steel toes with metatarsal protectors as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: JimBear and Prof