Tomarrow is D-Day by by mulberry!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Pallet Pete

Tomarrow a buddy of mine and I are gonna destroy the cursed mulberry tree lol. Acctually we love the fruit but hate the way it affects the neighborhood we live in ! The birds eat the barrys and poo all over the houses and cars which is nasty purple and hard to wash away our yard turns into a wine bath and we can't use the laundry line because of the poo and falling berries either. The tree is going away and getting burned woot !. I will post pics of the demolition for you guys to see.

Pete

Reactions: ScotO
One of my friends makes some pretty tasty mulberry wine. Otherwise, it's fine firewood. Enjoy the colors while it seasons, then watch out for the sparks.

Mullberry does burn fine and some posts have said that is a cousin to osage orange? Most of them here are all twisty and grow zig-zaggy, so make for fun splitting.

I love mulberry wood! I will take it over oak any day of the week, it seasons much faster. The fireworks are a treat

I've been eyeing one up out our lane for years. It's HUGE, and almost intrusive to their house. I'm half tempted to staple my phone number on the tree and a message that says "please cut me down and put me out of my misery".....

I've been eyeing one up out our lane for years. It's HUGE, and almost intrusive to their house. I'm half tempted to staple my phone number on the tree and a message that says "please cut me down and put me out of my misery".....

This tree is pretty big too and it's gonna be a doozy to get down. Maybe 40ft to my house 20 to the power lines and 15ft to the neighbors house lol.

Pete

Reactions: ScotO
I done lots of mulberry this season. Its a little slower to process but seasons quick with big btu's.

Reactions: Thistle and ScotO
This tree is pretty big too and it's gonna be a doozy to get down. Maybe 40ft to my house 20 to the power lines and 15ft to the neighbors house lol.

Pete
Take your time, Pete. Be safe. If you are dropping it whole and you have a proper lean, you still should cable it off to a good truck just for safety sake. If you are going to piece it down, hopefully you know how to use ropes to rig it and lower it down slowly if you can. Either way, be careful. And remember the Hearth.com motto......PICS OR IT DIDN'T HAPPEN......;lol;hm

Reactions: smokinj
I know EXACTLY what you're talking about with the Purple Poo raining down. We have 3 of them in our back yard. The only one that is really annoying though is on our neighbors side & overhangs our patio. Bought a screen-room that keeps the purple poo off our patio set and the roof of that thing looks like bad tie-die from mid-spring through summer.
Wonderful tree to have in the right spot. Terrible in the wrong spot.
Of the commonly scroungable wood around here Mulberry is my favorite. Enjoy.

Let us know how it turned out Pete.

My aunt had a mulberry tree. Boy, I sure do miss those pies!:cool:

Love the stuff,I get a little every year.Great on the smoker too,especially pork & poultry,similar to Apple & much more easy to get around here (for me anyway).Helps extend my limited Apple supply.

Well we had to top it out and drop sections to get it down. It was as tall as the tree behind it. It caused a lot of brain drain on my part but we got the tops down. I am so pooped now that we just had to stop and finish it later. I agree with you guys it is a nice burn however I have not tried to smoke with it yet. That is a must know that I have so much ;).

Pete

Attachments

• IMG_20120414_145645.jpg
    IMG_20120414_145645.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 179
  • IMG_20120414_145650.jpg
    IMG_20120414_145650.jpg
    403.8 KB · Views: 193
I can see why your tired, not much room for error, nice job.

zap

Sorry Forgot a picture !

Thanks Zap it was a challenge for sure. Now I have to finish the bottoms but thats easy work.

Pete

Attachments

• IMG_20120415_081355.jpg
    IMG_20120415_081355.jpg
    438.3 KB · Views: 169
Jeff Mulberry wine is very good there is a small winery near by us that makes it and we love it. Our problem is the mullberrys turn the yard into wine ;lol.

Gark this tree went out in 4 directions but was fairly straight thank goodness it splits pretty good which is nice. This tree has been staring me down for 6 years and the wife finally had enough of it soooooo :mad: :ZZZ :) ;ex

Smokin J I burned a little last year and your right lots of btu out put ! Real nice stuff to burn.

Scotty my friend I have never been so terrified of taking a tree down lol. I took it in sections and found that ratchet strapping my ladder to the tree was the ticket. I started with the ladder extended all the way 30 feet and man that was not enough ! The tops came down and shook everything lol the neighbor said it felt like an earthquake ! !! Mulberry is a heavy tree I discovered.

Chinkapin thats good to know I have not had enough to test how quick it rots thanks.

Geoxman I love oak but man does it take forever to dry out ;ex I avoid oak unless it is free and try to get mostly ash around here due to limited space for storage. I suppose if I had lots of land I would stock up on oak but that is not the case.

Midwest The poo is the worst of it ! It will be nice not to have o was the cars and house constantly now.

Chuckie I am gonna try that turkey for sure! :)

Dennis my friend I almost called you for advice but I found that it was one of those quit putting it off moments and I just had to go do it. That tree is a real teacher of angles for me. I didn't hit anything not even the power lines thank god and no body got hurt overall a good day:).

Jack Straw I am gonna miss the pies and bread but the lack of berrys every where and bird poo won't be missed. I am thinking about building covered picnic table area there with vines for shade but we will see I suppose. Maybe a garden !

Thistle I love apple but we dont get too much around here lately. It smells so good and burns so pretty o well I like Mulberry too so it will have to do.

Pete

And I just realized I left my bow saw in the tree while its pouring rain right now ;sick.

Pete, if there is a next time, call first. I have some equipment that may have helped you a lot.

Pallet Pete,
Here is a pic of some Mulberry that I put up last fall. No trouble splitting it by hand at all! And it appears to be drying fast. From what the guys are posting, should be good BTUs.
Tim
DSCF2923.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.