Top Draft Control?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Dpanita

Jan 4, 2018
Usa
For an old non-EPA stove, What is the most effecient use of the a draft system that includes a draft on both, the top and bottom of the door?

Currently, I'm controlling burn rate only using the bottom draft. Should i be using the bottom draft to rekindle then switch to only the top after kindled to maximize heat output and burning off of volatile gas?

what stove are you using? pictures would be a plus

Some stoves have a baffle and a top air control that inputs air right as the smoke turns the corner around the baffle. The upper air control on this style stove injects secondary air for a more complete burn. It's a little crude compared to modern methods, but effective when run right.

For this type of stove. Start the fire with both air controls open. When the wood is burning robustly turn them both down at least 50% or more. Regulate the fire with the lower control, but keep the upper one open slightly too. After the flame is gone and the fire is at the coals only stage you can close the upper air as there will be no secondary combustion from the coals.

Some stoves did this better than others. An interesting experiment would be to track the stove top temperature with the air control closed and then with it slightly opened.

Isn't there a stove model out there (one, maybe more) that both the primary and secondary air flow is controlled simultaneously by the air control lever?

Isn't there a stove model out there (one, maybe more) that both the primary and secondary air flow is controlled simultaneously by the air control lever?
Yes, the spin wheel draft control on the Jotul F602 and F118 did this.

Reactions: brenndatomu
So did the cawley lemay 400 and 600

Reactions: brenndatomu
Were any of these stoves particularly good (or bad) as far as burn time, efficiency, or just general user friendliness?

Were any of these stoves particularly good (or bad) as far as burn time, efficiency, or just general user friendliness?
For their time the cawleys were fantastic stoves. I had a 600 for a while and loved it. Also sold it for a profit after burning it for 5 or 6 years. Compared to modern stoves they are not nearly as efficent but they were way ahead of most other stoves from the 70s

I easily got 8 hours out of my 600 and it was as easy to use as my current regency. The regency uses less wood and makes more heat though.