Total loss

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Did he use PVC for his vent?

Reactions: Cory S
Maybe we can turn this into a OAK vs Anti-OAK debate?

Reactions: pete7713
It will be interesting to find out if his stove and installation were inspected and listed on his insurance. There's a real question of whether insurance will pay a claim if it was not. I have yet to see proof one way or the other in Canada since the WETT certification came in.

I've found that in cases where they are unable to determine the cause of a structure fire they simply blame it on an appliance or heat source. If that isn't possible then their default answer is "electrical".
Agree with that. I know of someone who took years to get a claim settled with insurance because no one could prove the cause.
In this case, it sounds like the guy was there when it happened. I'm sure the FD was not thrilled at fighting this in the cold weather. Temps like are super dangerous.

Supposedly there was another fire just to the north of us around Novar. I have no confirmation yet, but they say it was a pellet stove. I was wondering if Woody's pellets may or may not have had anything to do with this, due to their poor burn quality. Walmart is blowing them out at $2 bucks a bag at our store,
20160214_125740.jpg
I'm sure the FD was not thrilled at fighting this in the cold weather. Temps like are super dangerous.
Doug I'm sure you are right, temp last night in Huntsville was -43F with a wind chill of -52F... brrr....

I doubt the pellet had any bearing on the fire unless it contained small amounts of rocket fuel. Fires within pellet stoves are generally caused by poor installation, poor maintenance or acts of God.

Most pellet stoves are designed in such a way that a problem within will usually cause the stove to shutdown. While it is indeed possible that this failure was a random accident, I find it more likely that human error was involved.

Reactions: Ranger72
My local fire department was posting on there Facebook about the proper use of wood and pellet stoves.. With all the cold I'm sure people that don't have common sense would push there stove beyond what it's designed to do and cause a fire

I'm actually surprised we don't hear of more accidents like this one happening after seeing some of the horrendous installs on places like CL.Not saying this person was at fault but you can lead a horse to water but can't make it drink.

Status
Not open for further replies.