Tractor Pics

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
laynes69 said:
I don't know about the gassers, but the diesels sip fuel.

Love the Oliver and the low-slung wheels-aft trailer!

Some fuel consumption data from the good old days of independent testing of small (but bigger then) tractors:

Code:
NEBRASKA TRACTOR TEST 697 - OLIVER 550 GASOLINE       12.54 horsepower-hours per gallon
NEBRASKA TRACTOR TEST 698 - OLIVER 550 DIESEL         13.95 horsepower-hours per gallon
NEBRASKA TRACTOR TEST 594: John Deere 720/730 Diesel  18.37 horsepower-hours per gallon

Here ismine clearing the driveway after a snow storm last winter. It's a '49 8n.

SDC10787.jpg

I have a Massey Ferguson 255 with the four cyl Perkins in it. The tractor starts easy, runs fine and has lots of power. Does everything I want it to do, BUT, the high pressure fuel pump leaks. It's a CAV pump,made in England and I expect came origional with the 1984 tractor. I have done everything I could think of but could never stop it from leaking. So just last month I had the pump overhauled by Greenville Diesel, cost $435. The technicion told me that the reason they leak and give trouble is the new low sulpher fuel. The old fuel was high sulpher which provided lubrication for the pump and it's seals. So if you use the new low sulpher fuel, you are going to have high pressure fuel pump troubles. All my leaks are stopped and it runs great but I sure didn't want to spend $435 just to dry it up. David

Captain Hornet said:
So if you use the new low sulpher fuel, you are going to have high pressure fuel pump troubles. All my leaks are stopped and it runs great but I sure didn't want to spend $435 just to dry it up.
An old timer told me to use ATF or JD 303 fifty to one in diesel fuel for lubricity and detergents.

laynes69 said:
Butcher said:
laynes69 said:
Here's mine, mid 50's Oliver super 55. Needs an injection pump, I'm looking at around 900.00 ouch. I use it for plowing, discing, brush cutting, snow removal, wood hauling, etc. Even though it has it's bugs, it's my baby. Don't know what I would do without it.
SAWWEEETTT! I love old Ollies. Who said it would cost nine bills for a pump fer that tractor? Should be an easy rebuild in the right hands.
Check here if you havnt already
http://www.ytmag.com/oliver/wwwboard1.html
Might addy your post to J.Schwiebert. ReaL oLLIE GURUE.
Pay no mind to the rest of some of them gommers on the rest of that site. Most dont even own a real tractor I'm thinkin.

I've spoke with J a few times over the phone. The problem with my pump it's an American Bosch, they quit building parts for them. The tractor will start off either, but won't restart hot. From what I'm told it needs a new head, it's got a bad plunger. The cheapest pump I found rebuilt was 900. A used pump was 300 or more. I had 3 3/4 big bore kit put in it, so it's got a little more HP than stock. The engine is a later 550 diesel engine that's had bearings, sleeves, pistons, etc. put into it.
Not to hyjack this thread but iffn you want I could look into finding a pump for that 550.
That J is a good guy aint he? He called me personally some years back with a problem I was having with my 1750 and told me exactly what it was without even seein the machine. Damned smart man i'll tellya.

My splitter transporter (well, my favorite one).

splittertractor.jpg

JD4600 (43hp 4cyl Yanmar diesel, 2/4WD hydrostatic)

TreePointer said:

While I have been shopping, I've seen a couple of these with belly mowers on them. Even with the loader off and unloaded tires, is this a reasonable lawn mower or is it too stupid big? Seems like the lawn mower with a loader on it class realistically ends somewhere around 30 hp? Also seems like the 40-60 hp machines end up being cheaper used than a lot of the lawn mower with a loader class?

My older 30 hp would make for a pretty miserable lawn mower but the newer machines especially the hydros seem a lot more nimble. Maybe something like a 955 or 4400 isn't too big for mowing but still useful as a loader?

Some of us in Ma. get to muscle rocks around when we're not moving firewood.
My JD 2520

Attachments

• DSC_11.jpg
    DSC_11.jpg
    188.2 KB · Views: 578
1958 Massey Ferguson FE-35
This is the English version of the MF-35. It's got the English Standard Diesel in it, and is the Deluxe version with the two stage clutch. Motor needs a rebuild, She runs good (pulled a 2 bottom plough breaking a field that hasn't been turned in 40 years this fall), but starting involves battery chargers, block heaters, blowtorches and ether.

I grew up green, but don't like the price very much. Around here Masseys are cheap, as they weren't really popular. I have a relative of a friend who is trying to get rid of a MF-25 with the Perkins in it, I want to see if I can get he price down below 1K (hydraulics are hosed and it's been sitting for 2 or 3 years) There is also a little massey 1xx sitting up the road that is setup for vineyard work... kind of a cute little machine, industrial yellow in really good original shape.

Attachments

• P1000012a.jpg
    P1000012a.jpg
    111.5 KB · Views: 578
I've read the thread twice and still have no clue what a CUT is, but here are my tractors. I bought the 2240 new from Shipp Implement in 1980. Of all the tractors I've run over the years I still think it's the most user friendly tractor I've ever seen. I need to put the FEL on this week and load a couple of logs. I hate having the FEL on usually as it's always in the way. I always heard the Ollie 55/550 were very user friendly as well.

Breaking ground in the bottom with a set of 3-14 Ford 101's:

PlowSplitter001.jpg

PlowSplitter003.jpg

Discing with my KBA and Brillion cultipacker:

201KBABrillion246planter011.jpg

Splitting wood:

StandingAsh007.jpg

Secondpolpar006.jpg

While it's hard to consider it a tractor, more of a riding cultivator, here's the AC "G" model my Dad bought new that I still work garden with:

PotaoGmodel004.jpg

Covering taters with the hilling discs:

PotaoGmodel006.jpg

Hard to beat the view of the row you're working, just look down:

PotaoGmodel007.jpg

CUT=compact utility tractor, not sure if that is what you were after. 2240 looks good.

SolarAndWood said:
TreePointer said:

While I have been shopping, I've seen a couple of these with belly mowers on them. Even with the loader off and unloaded tires, is this a reasonable lawn mower or is it too stupid big? Seems like the lawn mower with a loader on it class realistically ends somewhere around 30 hp? Also seems like the 40-60 hp machines end up being cheaper used than a lot of the lawn mower with a loader class?

My older 30 hp would make for a pretty miserable lawn mower but the newer machines especially the hydros seem a lot more nimble. Maybe something like a 955 or 4400 isn't too big for mowing but still useful as a loader?

It's not a CUT; it's a decent sized utility tractor. I imagine a belly mower would work fine for some large flat lawns, but I'd have to swap the R1 tires for wide turf tires to keep the lawn looking decent. Also note that when stripped bare (no loader, no rear attachment, and only air in the tires) you're already around 3500 lbs.

BTW, I'm planning on trying a 6-7 foot rear finishing mower on it this year.

My CUT is a 2008 Case Farmall DX 25 with a quik-attach FEL, 48" bucket with 12" add-ons for a 6' snow bucket. She has turf tires, a 60" mid-mount mower deck and a 3ph PTO driven vac system. We never rake..............

Attachments

• Firewood Ramblings 003 (Custom).jpg
    Firewood Ramblings 003 (Custom).jpg
    170 KB · Views: 633
stephen,

Nice G! i have spent some time cultivating vegetables with one. I have a weekly date this summer with an Allis B cultivating at the farm my wife works at as well.

TreePointer said:
SolarAndWood said:
TreePointer said:

It's not a CUT; it's a decent sized utility tractor. I imagine a belly mower would work fine for some large flat lawns, but I'd have to swap the R1 tires for wide turf tires to keep the lawn looking decent. Also note that when stripped bare (no loader, no rear attachment, and only air in the tires) you're already around 3500 lbs.

BTW, I'm planning on trying a 6-7 foot rear finishing mower on it this year.

Treepointer the 4600 is still considered a CUT, lol, at least Deere thinks so. 5000 series up are "utilities" until 7000 series row-crop machines.

Solar, keep in mind a 72" Mid-Mower on a large-frame CUT would barely cover the track width of the machine! Trimming with a setup like that is liable to be challenging! Could be tough to get close to fence lines etc.

I sold a 3720 (35 PTO horse, 41 engine on a mid-frame!) with a 72" 7-Iron mid-mount mower once. Damn sweet machine and will knock down heavy wet grass in open areas like no ZTR ever thought of doing. Plus a much better ride if the terrain is a bit rough. Mid-Frames like the 955 or 4400 you mentioned won't have the 3720's brute HP but should perform pretty well as both loader tractors and belly mowers. Problem is, when the 3x20 series came about, loader lift specs and PTO HP from the tractors both got pretty stiff upgrades making it hard to go back to a 4400/4410 from a 3520 or 3720!

If you found a 4400/4410 (especially a 4410) with the newer 300CX loader on it then you would be on par as far as lift cap. since the upgrade (300lb at the pin) comes from the superior loader design vs the old 430 loader.

Keep in mind that if you need a dual purpose loader/mower tractor, you need ballast that can be shed quickly and easily. Ballast boxes (3pt) and wheel weights are the way to go. Stay away from loaded tires if possible. The difference between a mid-frame and large frame CUT as a loader tractor is pretty profound. 1 ton skids with pallet forks are possible with a large-frame and a pipe dream on the mid-frames. Goes the opposite way with the belly mowers I suppose. Pick your primary task and size your tractor appropriately!

rottiman said:
My CUT is a 2008 Case Farmall DX 25 with a quik-attach FEL, 48" bucket with 12" add-ons for a 6' snow bucket. She has turf tires, a 60" mid-mount mower deck and a 3ph PTO driven vac system. We never rake..............

Got a picture of that vac setup? Sounds awesome!

billb3 said:
Some of us in Ma. get to muscle rocks around when we're not moving firewood.
My JD 2520

That is a lot of rock for a 2520! :coolgrin:

MasterMech said:
Treepointer the 4600 is still considered a CUT, lol, at least Deere thinks so. 5000 series up are "utilities" until 7000 series row-crop machines.

You're going to love this--I had always called it a CUT (that's what the manual says), but I get scolded in tractor forums where a CUT is most often a JD 23XX (or similar). They kick me out and tell me to post with the "big boys," LOL!

TreePointer said:
MasterMech said:

You're going to love this--I had always called it a CUT (that's what the manual says), but I get scolded in tractor forums where a CUT is most often a JD 23XX (or similar). They kick me out and tell me to post with the "big boys," LOL!

Big boys... chuckle. Where my family comes from they wonder how useful a 4600 would be? Hell, can't even tow the grain carts with that! :lol: My grandfather has a 5305 for a "toy"!

MasterMech said:
rottiman said:

Got a picture of that vac setup? Sounds awesome!

Actually never bothered to take a pic of it. It has a hinged top that covers a steel frame holding 3 large removable nylon catch bags. with the PTO engaged it will just about suck your arm up the chute. I have a acre with 23 mature white pine plus mixed bush around. This thing devours a mountain of pine needles, sticks and leaves each year.

[quote author="wingsfan" date="1330243912"]Here ismine clearing the driveway after a snow storm last winter. It's a '49 8n.

Growing up we has a Ferguson, not sure of the yr. 8n. To start it you had to move the gear shift up and over, the starter switch was in the tranny. Loved that old tractor.

MasterMech said:
Keep in mind that if you need a dual purpose loader/mower tractor, you need ballast that can be shed quickly and easily. Ballast boxes (3pt) and wheel weights are the way to go. Stay away from loaded tires if possible. The difference between a mid-frame and large frame CUT as a loader tractor is pretty profound. 1 ton skids with pallet forks are possible with a large-frame and a pipe dream on the mid-frames. Goes the opposite way with the belly mowers I suppose. Pick your primary task and size your tractor appropriately!

Do you think the dual purpose loader/mower is so much of a compromise that it ends up doing neither well? i.e. spend the same money on something like a low hour 4wd diesel F1445 for mowing and blowing and keep the beater tractor around that doesn't have a parking spot under a roof?

SolarAndWood said:
MasterMech said:

Do you think the dual purpose loader/mower is so much of a compromise that it ends up doing neither well? i.e. spend the same money on something like a low hour 4wd diesel F1445 for mowing and blowing and keep the beater tractor around that doesn't have a parking spot under a roof?

Your going to have zero trim-abilty with the large frames but 2000lb + lift capacities on loaders. They will mow open area's just fine. Keep in mind your less likely to find a tractor this size with turf friendly tires on it. Go to the mid-frame and your back to 1300 - 1600lb lift on the loader. So can you live with the limitations of the smaller loader?

F1145 ain't bad but I'd really be pining for a 14/1500 series unit. Much better all-around, especially the decks.

I should be done with all the grunt work on the property that I bought the Ford for. Then, it should just be light duty loading activities. Stuff like compost, firewood and a little stone or soil here or there. That was kind of my thinking that I could go to one machine that has a spot in the garage and is well cared for as opposed to having a sit outside beater.

One of the dealers here has a 4wd diesel 1445 with around 600 hours on it for not much more money than similar 1145s and similar to an 855/955/4110. I suppose going the 1445 route and keeping the Ford addresses my primary needs: reliable mowing and blowing.

Status
Not open for further replies.