Traded a Makita 7900 for an Echo 7310, opinions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

qwee

Feeling the Heat
Jan 17, 2013
Idaho
Both are about a year old and in similar condition. Why trade? Only a 5.5cc difference. I need one big saw with my little saws. Wood is scarce where I'm at so I need to cut up big wood when it is available. The Dolmar/Makita is a good saw but I wasn't feeling it. I offered a small saw shop my saw (the 7900) +$200. He said okay. I haven't used the Echo yet.

I have two Echo 590s. I like these saws - they are very predictable and dependable. Sometimes I go up in the mountains - the Echos don't care and run just fine. The Makita/Dolmar doesn't like the elevation change and gets fussy. I'm going to hang a 28" bar on the Echo 7310 (eventually).

I think the saw that the Echo 7310 is most similar to is the Husqvarna 372 (power curve wise). It is a little heavier than other saws in its class. The big Echo is a new saw that has only been around for a couple of years - so unproven. I hope it works out.

I hear you. That was the logical thing to do. On paper the 7900 is a better saw. But in my hands the Echos feel better, more usable. I think I have been driving Toyotas for too long ==c. (The Makita 7900 is really an old school muscle saw, a Dolmar, and is made in East Germany).

there is no more east germany...

Reactions: qwee
east Germany

You will be disappointed in power dolmar vs echo. The 7900 will have more power. I have been around both saws and both are good saws. The echo will be lacking. A good muffler mod and tune will wake up either saw. I have been in a 7310 and they are built well and are easy and fairly cheap to rebuild. The dolmar is a time tested and proven saw.

Ya the Echo isn't a racehorse like the Dolmar. But it is dependable - more like the family van. I'm good with that. Donny Walker up in BC, Canada, will Walkerize the 7310 (muffler mod, reduce squish, and more) for $350. I'm not a logger so I think I will just get a muffler mod and call it good. I just want a saw that starts the same each time, is comfortable, and everything stays together.

Reactions: duramaxman05
Ya the Echo isn't a racehorse like the Dolmar. But it is dependable - more like the family van. I'm good with that. Donny Walker up in BC, Canada, will Walkerize the 7310 (muffler mod, reduce squish, and more) for $350. I'm not a logger so I think I will just get a muffler mod and call it good. I just want a saw that starts the same each time, is comfortable, and everything stays together.
You can do a muff mod and reduce the squish yourself...
Do they specify what the more is?

I think the 'more' is the timing, and the numbers. And he removes the base gasket and lathes off some of the metal on the bottom of the cylinder to reduce the squish to the right #. I think he does some port work. He said the saw can get 1/2 HP jump just by a muffler mod. Mr. Donny Walker himself,

He works on one here. Go to 5 minute mark.

Last edited:
Update, I mailed this at-home saw mechanic the Makita. He liked the condition, but the saw wouldn't start. The coil was bad. I didn't know. I would pull this saw a few times, and it wouldn't start so I would grab a smaller saw. I just thought it was being temperamental. I feel kind of bad about sending him a saw with a bad coil. I didn't know a coil could go bad on a newish saw. I sent him $40 to help with buying a new coil. I think he is tired of dealing with me. His Echo is in the mail.

debating unloading my Dolmar 6400, solely for the future availability of parts (runs perfectly now). Echo's parts are on the shelf; a Dolmar coil is an Ebay gamble.

That guy is probably out another 60 - 100 bucks to replace the coil, but do find it odd if failed so quickly.

The coil cost him $79.99. I paid half. I don't think it is oem. He said the same thing about parts being harder to get for the Dolmar/Makita. Ya, the Dolmars are good really solid saws. My first saw was a 6400. I cut a lot of wood with it. I have a couple older Shindaiwas - midrange 60 cc.

Parts are going to be even harder to get for them. But I'm keeping them. I traded firewood for one and didn't pay much for the other. I'm going all Japanese on my keeper saws.

As an owner of a 6400 dolmar, I would be happy to trade for a nice echo just for the sake of parts availability and I like Echos too.

I like the dolmar but bought a chinese 372xp as a backup. It's actually pretty nice so far.