Tree cutting safety message

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
It looks like the bull rope didn't run properly, to take the load gradually, and to decelerate the top at a controlled rate.
I can't see a lowering rope but it looks like top was tied off but was shock loaded and rope failed almost immediately, but not before yanking spar with feller attached.

Reactions: all night moe
Seen this clip elsewhere awhile back. That top was way to big for rigging out on a rope. Those conifers carry a huge weight load of branches, let alone the the wood was big in diameter too. Climber was rendered unconscious, obvious to the ragdoll display. Not sure of his outcome but one can assume he was badly bruised and more likely worse. If he learned, it was a hard lesson.

I shudder seeing this video. Once was enough. There are so many things that can go wrong, even for experienced cutters. Hope this guy is ok. His body took a brutal beating there. Sad to say that this is not the worst I have seen. Be careful out there folks.

Reactions: all night moe