Tree ID

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kool_hand_Looke

Feeling the Heat
Dec 8, 2013
Illinois
I saw something on here recently that looked identical I think. The wood was in the back of a guys pick em' up truck.

Attachments

• IMAG0268.jpg
    IMAG0268.jpg
    289.9 KB · Views: 141
I take a stab at it . Black Locust ???

That bark from the end looks a lot like it . Do you have any side shoots are there Vee's in the bark ?
Also did it have any punky spots ( soft rotting wood) ? If it is BL it would not.

One more observation - the first round shows a black tone this is a good sign it is BL too.

More pictures wood be good.

No, no punk wood. I guess the picture doesn't show it...but the bark on the rounds does have a large V on the bark.

I take a stab at it . Black Locust ???

That bark from the end looks a lot like it . Do you have any side shoots are there Vee's in the bark ?
Also did it have any punky spots ( soft rotting wood) ? If it is BL it would not.

More pictures wood be good.

+1 that's BL. Could lay there for 20 yrs w/o rotting. If you're grabbing it leave the bark, most of it will come right off w/o much hassle.

You lucky dog !

Get all you can.

Same picture, but cropped closer.

Attachments

• IMAG0268_1.jpg
    IMAG0268_1.jpg
    319.6 KB · Views: 142
The black stain on the first round helped with my call of BL . I have not scene this telltale marking on other woods.

A couple of years ago I almost mistook cottonwood for BL because the bark is also thick on it too.

Soooo...black locust is good to burn? I try to stick with oak and shag bark.

The black stain on the first round helped with my call of BL . I have not scene this telltale marking on other woods.

A couple of years ago I almost mistook cottonwood for BL because the bark is also thick on it too.
And where is this black stain you see? This wood is real wet. It's rained for 2 days straight. This stuff won't rot either?

And where is this black stain you see? This wood is real wet. It's rained for 2 days straight. This stuff won't rot either?

Won't rot for a long time. One of the best woods for fence posts. Many split rail fences around my area also was layed on the ground as a starter course/foundation years (and years) ago.

When I bought my current house there was an old wood pile covered with vines and leaves. Didn't even know it was there for a long time. Could have been there twenty years and was most likely constantly wet for 15 of them (seriously). Split it up and the wood was as good as the day it was stacked.

Reactions: Kool_hand_Looke
It's a shame that you don't have any good woods to burn out your way :eek: ;lol

Yes, it's very good wood to burn as are the other two that you mentioned-you're very blessed with them!
On our ground we've got a lot of cherry, this black locusts, hickory, and a boat load of elm. And some Kentucky coffee tree. At least thats what IDNR said it was. He was amazed we have them. I just couldn't tell what this was at all. I don't recall seeing bark that thick on anything

Last edited:
Black Locust puts out serious heat and seasons faster than oak, and as I recall is not hard to split. Overall fantastic wood. Enjoy!

Status
Not open for further replies.