Tree ID

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

cptoneleg

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Jul 17, 2010
Virginia
I drag a tree home ever so often and usually know what it is, the bark looks like the bark on some Black Walnut trees I have on my property. But I think maybe that or some kind of poplar

Attachments

• Tree ID
    SDC10876.JPG
    196.2 KB · Views: 316
  • Tree ID
    SDC10875.JPG
    193.7 KB · Views: 310
Yep looks like tulip to me.

Tulip, AKA Yellow Poplar, and yes end-grain helps...

Tulip.

Easy to split, fast to dry. Burns hot but fast. I like It in my Bk.

Yes I have burned it before thought it was Tulip but not sure.

Are you asking for an ID on both pictures or just the one on the right which yes is Tulip Poplar, the other looks like Ash to me on the left, are they 2 different trees?

Reactions: D8Chumley
Are you asking for an ID on both pictures or just the one on the right which yes is Tulip Poplar, the other looks like Ash to me on the left, are they 2 different trees?
Same tree I was pretty sure it was Tulip

+1 for Tulip Poplar

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tulip Poplar bark has the grey, oval pattern in the bark. So the picture on the right is a dead giveaway. The picture on the left is definitely tougher with more intersections, but looks like that was just dirtier. Tons of tulip poplar in Northern VA where I'm from...

Definately thinkin tulip myself. Lots around here as well.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Photos can be tough. But I'm 99.9% sure on tulip poplar just from those first two bark photos.