Tree ID

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

therealdbeau

Burning Hunk
Oct 16, 2018
VA
It's a little thing but it's touching my house so it has to go.

Any guesses? Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_20200528_115423.jpg
    IMG_20200528_115423.jpg
    196.3 KB · Views: 147
leaves and bark look like elm in my neck of the woods.

American Elm

My guess is Eastern Hophornbeam, Ostrya virginiana. I think that fits both the bark and leaves.

And it does look like elm, though i don't get to see many of those anymore. Bark could be elm.

The leaves also remind me of American Hornbeam, Carpinus caroliniana, but the bark not so much.

Thanks for posting, because these are two trees I'm not good at when I'm in the woods. They are both usually small trees, like yours.

Last edited:
Now I'm leaning more elm, after looking at a book. One of those three might be right. Maybe if I make 8 guesses, one will hit.

+1 for American elm

American Elm

It definitely looks like elm, but which species? Could be American, slippery, winged, or any of a number of others. The one feature of all elms is that the bottom of the leaf blade is not symmetrical. That is, the blade extends lower on the petiole (stem) on one side.