Tree id

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

MoDoug

Minister of Fire
Feb 3, 2018
NE Missouri
I think this is some kind of oak, but I haven't been able to find it among the oaks for Missouri.

IMG_6664.JPG

Looks red oak to me

I agree with you, that is a Missouri oak.

Looks like oak. But not one I know.

I think this is some kind of oak, but I haven't been able to find it among the oaks for Missouri.

View attachment 268359
Shumard Oak, I think. If so, common in Missouri.

Looks red oak to me

I thought so too, but the wood is kind of a honey color in the middle.

Shumard Oak, I think. If so, common in Missouri.

Shumard is a good guess, but the trunk is different on this tree.

I'm kind of leaning toward white oak, with some black oak cross breeding... mulatto oak? There's more variables than I realized on trying to ID a tree, especially in the winter. Most of the wood I've been cutting the past month is this type tree, it's an oak so it must be good burning. I'll take pics of the wood and bark tomorrow.

I am a complete novice at this but the red oaks i have around my property, the leaves look identical. It is a totally different region though.

Reactions: MoDoug
I agree with everyone else on oak leaf. What kind though....for me hard to tell. There are so many varieties and leaves are the hardest way to identify for me personally. As you said their are many cross breeds. My father always called a black jack and a red oak cross a bastard oak lol. Not sure why. Maybe it's a bastard to split or red oak wont claim it.

• Haha
Reactions: MoDoug
Honestly, to me the closet leaf seems to be the Cherrybark Oak, even the bark looks like it, but it's range in Missouri is the bootheel, which is the other end of the state from me.

My guess is that it is a shade leaf from a Black Oak.

I agree with this. After reading up on Black Oak, from the link below, "The bark is thick, nearly black in color and deeply furrowed with narrow scaly ridges; the inner bark is orange-yellow in color". From the picture I took today, the bark matches, especially the inner bark is clearly an orangish color. Black Oak is a member of the Red Oak family which also shows red in the picture. Interesting tree.

Attachments

• BlackOak.jpg
    BlackOak.jpg
    236.6 KB · Views: 84
Reactions: Qvist
@Diabel, I previously said the wood is kind of a honey color in the middle, either the lighting was terrible yesterday or I mixed up my wood. LOL This wood is red in the middle.